List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PRIORY APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF MARCHAM PRIORY (NOT INCLUDED)

List entry Number: 1199599

Location

THE PRIORY APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF MARCHAM PRIORY (NOT INCLUDED), PACKHORSE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityMarcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249670

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARCHAM PACKHORSE LANE SU4596 (West side) 18/172 The Priory approx. 10m S of 06/08/52 Marcham Priory (not included) (Formerly listed as Park House Lane as The Priory in grounds of No.34)

- II*

House. Mid C16. Roughly coursed limestone rubble, with alternate dressed stone coursed on first floor and ashlar quoins and dressings. Gabled stone slate roof; double-flued ashlar ridge stack with roll-moulded dripcourse. 3-unit plan with through-passage, and also with lobby-entry to rear. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Tudor style. Studded C16 door with strap hinges left of centre is set in Tudor-arched convex-moulded architrave. 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows to left: to right stone-mullioned and transomed ovolo-moulded round-arched windows above similar mullioned 4-light windows with central king mullions. All windows have leaded-lights and are set in cyma-moulded architraves. Similar 2-light round-headed window in right gable wall; left gable wall has ovolo-moulded attic light, and chamfered timber lintels over one 3-light and three 4-light chamfered wood-mullioned windows. Rear: narrow pointed chamfered doorway to lobby entry, and C16 studded door set in pointed chamfered oak doorway to through passage: 3- and 4-light moulded wood mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights to right; to left is similar but altered 4-light window with 3-light chamfered wood-mullioned window above. Interior: through passage has stop-chamfered joists and is flanked by partitions: partition to right has chamfered muntins and rail dividing panels, and 2 service doorways with sunk spandrels: plainer partition to left is probably later. Service room to right has stop-chamfered beam. Central room has stop-chamfered beam and joists, and segmental tympanum arch over moulded stone fireplace with sunk spandrels. Room to left (former living-room) has stop-chamfered bean and joists: corbelled fireplace has tall stepped overmantle and chamfered flat arch. Arched doorhead to newel stairs adjoining stack: room above (former parlour) has corbelled ovolo-moulded fireplace, with keyed half-round overaantel of ashlar flush with wall. Chamfered doorhead with sunk spandrels over doorway to large first-floor room to left: flat-arched fireplace has urn-stopped chamfer. 6-bay collar-truss roof, with side struts, but purlins and arched windbraces: stop-chamfer,to tie bean in parlour. Attic floor removed. This building is unusual for its combination of the through-passage with the newly-introduced lobby-entrance, which was here used as a back door from the private living quarters: Spokes and lope suggest a date of c.1570 which makes the use of the early C16 style round-arched windows very old fashioned. The unusual plan of this house suggests that it may have been used as a temporary residence, possibly an audit house. (P.S. Spokes and E.M. Jope, "The Priory, Marcham: a small 16th century house", Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol.57 (1959), pp.86-97; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.177).

Listing NGR: SU4567196434

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Berkshire Archaeological Journal - Date: 1959 - Journal Title: Berkshire Archaeological Journal - Volume: 57 - Page References: 86-97
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 177

National Grid Reference: SU 45671 96434

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 03:38:12.