List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAGHULL CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1199487

Location

MAGHULL CHAPEL, DAMFIELD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SeftonMetropolitan AuthorityMaghull

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216498

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAGHULL DAMFIELD LANE SD 30 SE (south-west side) 7/99 Maghull chapel 11,10.6H G.V. II* Chancel and north Unsworth chapel of former parish church. Late C13 with later alterations; west wall and west bay of south wall of 1880 following demolition of nave; bell turret re-used from nave of 1775. Stone with stone slate roofs, stone coped gables. East end has diagonal buttresses and central buttress, chancel has 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery and chapel has 3-light window with intersected tracery. West end has south angle buttresses with octagonal turret over; string course cornice and cupola -- with ball finial, and 4 lancet openings. Porch to chapel is gabled with pointed doubel-chamfered entrance. Inner entrance is round-headed with octagonal jambs; wide-boarded door in frame with glazed quatrefoils. Round-headed entrance to chancel. Lancet to chapel and triple lancets to chancel. South side has 2 straight-headed windows of 2 lights with creped ogee heads; north side has buttress. Interior: 2-bay arcade has double-chamfered arches on round pier. C19 Scissor-braced roofs. Chancel has sedilia and piscina recess, canopy missing. Remains of north side of chancel arch. Remains of wall painting to south of east window, which has tracery dating from restoration of 1883. Iron railings to arcade. Some late C18 and early C19 wall memorials; board commemorates enlargements enlargement of church in 1830. Octagonal font has C19 base and cover. Stone vessel of uncertain purpose at west end of chancel. Late C17 chained chancel prayer book and book of homilies; bible of 1830. Some early C17 chairs and bench. Baluster for sundial of 1781 on sill of west window. The chapel is an important medieval survival in an area with few such buildings.

Listing NGR: SD3753401931

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 37534 01925

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 03:52:46.