List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1199327

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityLyford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249631

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYFORD THE GREEN SU39SE (South side) 7/133 Church of St. Mary 09/02/66

GV II*

Church. Early C13: early C16 clerestory: restored 1875 by Ewan Christian. Uncoursed limestone rubble: gabled nave roof of sheet lead, and chancel roof of old and C20 tiles. Nave and chancel. East lancet window of 1875: 2-bay chancel side walls have C13 pointed lancets, and C16 light to south and C13 trefoil-headed light to north. 2-bay south wall of nave has central C13 pointed chamfered blocked doorway flanked by C13 pointed lancets: two early C16 two- and 3-light round-arched clerestory windows. North wall: C13 lancet to east, C13 finial pointed chamfered doorway to C19 door; mid C19 timber porch has reset C15 oak archway to front; similar clerestory windows. Circled cross east on west gable: geometrical west window of 1875: west belfry has mid C19 weatherboarding and pyramidal Welsh slate roof. Interior: chancel has C13 piscina with foliate-carved credence shelf, C13 aumbry and mid C19 tile floor and benches. Chancel arch of 1875. Jacobean pulpit has stylised tulips set within blind arches. C15 octagonal font on shelf. Seven C17/C18 benches to north, similar C19 benches to south. 4-bay tie-beam roof with arch-braced posts supported on corbels. Heavy C15 oak posts strengthened by ogee scissor braces rise to support the belfry which is probably early C16 (dating from insertion of clerestory). Early C16 four-bay Perpendicular screens, originally rood screen moved to flank belfry posts at west end. (V.M. Howse, Lyford: A Parish Record, pp.12-17; Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.172-3).

Listing NGR: SU3901194230

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 172-3
Other
Howse, VM, Lyford A Parish Record,

National Grid Reference: SU 39011 94230

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 06:47:42.