List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1199239

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, NEW STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
St. HelensMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216375

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 59 SW ST. HELENS NEW STREET (west side)

8/84 Church of - Saint Nicholas

G.V. II

Church. 1848-9. Sharpe and Paley, tower of 1897. Rubble walling, with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 5-bay nave with aisles under lean-to roof; west tower; chancel with south organ loft. Aisles have cornice with beasts and parapet; 3-light windows with Geometrical tracery. Gabled south porch with pointed entrance of one order. Clerestory has spherical triangle windows. Tower has diagonal buttresses; west window of 3 lights with transom; 2-light louvred bell openings; embattled parapet; low stair turret. 3-bay chancel has gabled setback buttresses and foliated cornice and parapet. Small north vestry. 2 windows of 2 lights to north and south and 3-light east window. Organ loft has gable and 2-light window above buttress; east window in angle, of 2 lights under half relieving arch. Interior: high narrow nave with arcades on round piers. Collar-truss roof on wall shafts on angel corbels. Chancel arch on corbelled wall shafts with foliated corbels and capitals. Octagonal font with clustered shafts. Pulpit corbelled from wall with pointed entrance and canted stair turret in north aisle. Chancel has arch-braced collar roof. North and south stained glass windows of 1850's and 1890's. East window dated 1879 probably by Holiday and Powell; flanking commandment panels with nodding ogee heads.

Listing NGR: SJ5218592631

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 52185 92631

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:55:08.