List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1199074

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityWoolstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250812

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOLSTONE SU28NE 5/177 Church of All Saints 21/11/66

GV II*

Church. Circa 1200, early C13 chancel; late C13 south transept; vestry c.1974. Built for St. Swithun's Priory in Winchester. Squared chalk brought to course on sarsen base, limestone quoins and dressings; stone slate roof. Chancel, south transept, nave, bellcote. Transitional and Decorated styles. 2-light east window set in random bond brickwork of c.1760; two-window range to side walls of early C14 two-light windows. Late C13 two-light window to south transept. North wall of nave has early C14 two-light window, C13 lancet and central door of c.1200 which has moulded round arch, carved capitals and imposts and engaged columns to jambs with late C19 studded door; south wall of nave has C13 lancet and 4-centered arch over blocked door. Gabled roofs. Stone bellcote of c.1663; two-light west window also of c.1663 has cavetto moulded surrounds and label mould. Interior: C13 piscina and sedilia, 3-bay canted and planked roof of c.1870. Transitional arch with dentilled outer mouldings and carvings to label stops depicting the Green Man. South transept has piscina on east wall. Nave has wood pulpit and prayer desk of c.1867 and fine brass chandalier of c.1800; lead font with C14 ogee motifs to pointed arches but said to be c.1200 (Pevsner); C15 four-bay crown post roof. (Buildings of England, Berkshire, p.313.)

Listing NGR: SU2943987599

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 313

National Grid Reference: SU 29439 87599

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:22:24.