List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1199016

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireCherwellDistrict AuthoritySwalcliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 244091

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWALCLIFFE MAIN ROAD SP3737 (North side) 7/80 Church of SS. Peter and 08/12/55 Paul GV I Church. C11. Chancel of ,Saxon Church incorporated in north and south arcades of present nave. C12 north aisle rebuilt C14; C13 south aisle, south doorway west tower. C14 chancel rebuilt c.1854; C15 clerestory and upper stages of tower, porch rebuilt 1876. Church restored 1854-56, by R.C. Hussey. Coursed regular ironstone rubble with stone and Welsh slate roof. Chancel: Geometrical east window with hood mould; 2-and 3-light windows with Y-tracery to north and south walls; 3-light geometrical window to south wall to right of 2-centred doorway with hood mould and stops; blocked 2-centred doorway on north wall has hood mould and stops; diagonal buttresses on north-west angle. South aisle: geometrical east window; 4 triplets of lancets to south wall; 2-light lancet to west wall; south doorway has 2 piers with stiff leaf decoration and 2 orders of hollow chamfered roll moulding; blocked 2-centred doorway and arch with dog- tooth ornament to right; moulded parapet. West tower of 4 stages has crenellated parapet and rectangular staircase projection on south-west. 2-light perpendicular windows to clerestory. Interior: Chancel has single piscina and 3 seat sedilia. Stone blind arcading c.1854 by R.C. Hussey. Nave: 2 small round headed windows in north and south arcades belong to earlier Saxon Church. Narrow north aisle has a 4-bay arcade of 3 round headed arches and round piers with scalloped and waterleaf capitals. Wide south aisle: 4-bay arcade with arches of 2 chamfered orders, octagonal piers and large projecting abacii. One capital has trumpet-scallop decoration, the others have stiff leaf decoration; the east bay of this arcade is wider with 3 shafts and moulded capitals and probably occupies the south wall of a former chancel; piscina and blocked priest's doorway to south wall. Fittings: Font probably C14 has capital carried in octagonal column, bowl with band of roll moulding and C17 carving. C17 wooden cover. Pulpit 1639. Reading desk made up from C17 panelling. Chancel screen possibly late C15; strapwork cresting added C16/C17 now in south aisle. Pews C17: 2 front pews dated 1637 and 1638. South door inscribed 1639. Wall paintings: C14 to south aisle; C17 texts over earlier work to north aisle. Monuments: north aisle a marble monument with armorial shields to Richard Wykeham (d.1635); South aisle a stone memorial to John Hawten (d.1598) framed by Corinthian columns and a coloured marble monument to John Duncombe (d.1645/6) and his wife Elizabeth. There is a medieval chest tomb under a C14 double arched tomb recess in the south wall. C19 stained glass throughout. (Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.795-6; V.C.H.: Vol.X, pp.251-2).

Listing NGR: SP3784637892

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1972 - Volume: 10 - Page References: 251-2
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 795-6

National Grid Reference: SP 37857 37892

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 04:58:32.