List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KINGSTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1198912

Location

KINGSTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityKingston Bagpuize with Southmoor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249597

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON BAGPUIZE WITH SOUTHMOOR KINGSTON BAGPUIZE PARK SU4097 14/99 Kingston House 06/08/52 (Formerly listed as Kingston House including Gazebo)

GV II*

Country house. c.1710, probably for Fettiplace Blandy, but with possible C17 origins: interior partly remodelled c.1730. Flemish bond red brick; limestone ashlar basement, quoin strips and dressings. Shallow gabled lead roof. Brick stacks, projecting from side walls of central block, are each paired together by round arch with moulded stone dressings. Double-pile plan. Early Georgian style. 2 storeys; 7-window range. 2:3:2 front has projecting pedimented central block raised by an attic above the outer bays. 2-light stone-mullioned basement windows. Steps to double-leaf doors with fanlight: keyed round-arched doorway has Doric entablature and base (without shaft) sunk into rusticated surround with triglyph frieze: segmental-arched sash window above has engaged Ionic columns and curved shoulders. 6-pane sashes with thick glazing bars to all windows: moulded stone architraves to keyed round-arched windows, and segmental-arched first-floor windows, all with apron blocks. String course. Moulded cornice carried across raised centre which has keyed moulded architraves to attic windows and lunette in pediment. Flaming urns of the Blandy family placed at outer ends of pediment and flanking parapets. Almost identical rear elevation has 2-light cavetto-moulded basement windows and double-leaf doors set in plain moulded architrave with fanlight and entablature. Pedimented 3-bay side walls have similar windows and 2 round-headed attic windows in each pediment: doorway to left has stone steps with brick walls and stone piers. Interior: basement has C18 kitchen and reset early C17 panelling with traces of filigree decoration beneath the paint. Plan: central hall opens to rear hall with staircase: first-floor saloon subdivided in 1730s. Hall has Ionic dentilled cornice, panelled dado and, on the rear wall, a tall round-arched entry with later C18 door and panelling flanked by 2 fine Baroque stone fireplaces. Keyed segmental-arched doorways with 6-panelled doors to dining room on left, with doors, panelling and marble fireplace of c.1730, and parlour on right with similar panelling and earlier C18 fireplace which has finely carved frieze and Fettiplace griffins on the consoles. Bedroom opening onto closet behind parlour has earlier C18 bolection-moulded panelling with dentilled pediment over doorway and broken-pediment entablature over marble fireplace: much of the panelling and the cornice removed in mid C20. Dog-leg back stairs behind dining room has turned balusters on closed string. Fine staircase, with pedestal-shaped newels and fluted bulbs carved at foot of turned balusters, rises in 2 arms to balustraded first-floor gallery: buffet on gallery has finely carved large shell niche. Panelled rooms of c.1730, eared architrave to overmantle on right. History: likely dates are about 1710 when Fettiplace Blandy, son of John Blandy and grandson of Sir Edmund Fettiplace, succeeded to the property; and in 1728 when the Blandys bought the "Mansion House" which the deed states had been purchased by Fettiplace from John Latton in 1670, the old moated house being left to fall down. It has been suggested that George Townsend built the Early georgian house because of similarities with the designs of hid former master, Vanbrugh. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.160-161; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.349; C. Hussey, "Kingston House, Berkshire", Country Life, November '9, 1942, pp.890-3, 938-41; John Betjeman and John Piper, "Murray's Architectural Guide": Berkshire, 1949, p.131; deed at Kingston House dated 22.11.1728; H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1660-1830, 1978, p.830).

Listing NGR: SU4072897913

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 830
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 349
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 160-161
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 131
'Country Life' in 19 November, (1942), 890-3
'Country Life' in 19 November, (1942), 938-41

National Grid Reference: SU 40728 97913

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 06:36:16.