List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1198429

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE, FYFIELD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityFyfield and Tubney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249557

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/08/2012

SU4298 12/59 06/08/52

FYFIELD AND TUBNEY FYFIELD The Manor House

(Formerly listed as Fyfield Manor)

GV II*

Manor house, now dwelling and office. c.1325, for Sir John Golafre: hall to right heightened and rebuilt in late C16, and C16 and C17 extensions, for the White family: restored in 1868 by J.H. Parker. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Porch and adjoining wing of solar over service survive of early C14 Decorated-style house. Timber-framed solar wing, set on high limestone plinth, has main framing of heavy scantling with heavy cusped angle braces: first floor of porch to right is roughcast over timber frame. Gabled stone slate roofs; stone and brick stacks. 2-storey porch has 2-light Decorated window with heraldic shields in spandrels: pointed moulded doorways, ballflower ornament to inner doorway framing ancient studded doors with grill and iron fittings. Early C14 two-storey and -attic, gabled front of solar wing to left has C17 ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows and early C14 two-light trefoil-headed attic window. Late C16 range behind and to right of porch of 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 3-window range: 3-light stone-mullioned cavetto-moulded windows have restored C18 casements and are set under 3 gables, with stack on fourth gable to left; gable end ashlar stacks; similar stone-mullioned windows to rear. Two-storey range to left of C14 wing has C17 three-light wood-mullioned window (reset after 1868): late C17 three-unit lobby-entry house, with 2- and 3-light leaded casements, 2-unit dwelling and C19 stable extend forward from left. Interior: screens have 3 early C14 pointed moulded service doorways. C14 wing has heavy transverse beams and C17 door with lock in service area: first-floor solar has moulded oak doorways to left and to porch, C16 moulded stone fireplace in left wall, and 3-bay roof of massive scantling, partially restored by Parker: moulded wall plates, and cusp-chamfering to cusped braces tenoned into cambered tie beams of collar trusses with side struts, windbraces and butt purlins. Late C16 range has chamfered and stopped beams, timber-framed partitions to first floor and attic, restored stone moulded fireplaces, 2 blacked round-headed doorways, and 4-bay collar-truss roof with clasped purlins and windbraces. Old range to left of C14 wing has C17 door and chamfered beams. First-floor room has early C18 panelling, C16 stone-moulded fireplace and cusp-chamfering to doorway and posts, braces and tie beams of 3-bay roof (not inspected). Interiors of C17 ranges to left not inspected. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.145-6; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.345; Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Archaeological Journal, Vol.23 (1917), Figs. 1 and 2; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SU4230798943

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 345
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 145-6
'Berkshire Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 23, (1917)

National Grid Reference: SU 42307 98943

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 07:21:51.