List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: APPLETON MANOR

List entry Number: 1198061

Location

APPLETON MANOR, EATON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityAppleton-with-Eaton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249510

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

APPLETON WITH EATON EATON ROAD SP4401 (East side) Appleton 9/13 Appleton Manor 06/08/52 (Formerly listed as No.16 (Appleton Manor House) including barn)

GV II*

Manor house, now house. c.1190-1200, of which the screens and parlour end to right survive: late C16 porch, early C17 extension to left: remodelled and extended to rear by Detmar Blow and Billerus for Mrs. Timpson, in 1924. Uncoursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, with slate hanging at top of gabled right bay; jettied and timber-framed first floor of porch has close studding. Gabled stone slate roof; stone ridge and internal stacks. Late C12 plan form unclear: remodelled as L-plan in Arts and Crafts style with rear left wing in 1924. 2 storeys and attic; 6-window range, includes gabled fronts of right outer bay, central bay and gabled porch right of centre. Very fine late C12 doorway has deep-moulded arch set on 3 orders of colonettes with stiff-leaf capitals. Porch in front has early C19 nine-panelled door, with dolphin knocker, set in moulded wood architrave: jettied first floor of late C16 porch has wood-mullioned ovolo-moulded canted bay window supported on brackets carved in low relief. Early C20 canted bay window with stone-mullioned lights in central bay to left. 2-window range to left has timber lintels over central C20 door, with early C20 casement to right: late C16/C17 two-light ovolo-moulded cross-window to left, and similar 2-light windows above which include reused late C16/C17 mullions to right. Late C12 roll-moulded arris to rear right corner of parlour. Side walls and rear remodelled by Blow and Billerus, who added similar canted bay windows and hipped roof dormers. Interior: the hall entered through the main doorway has 2 late C12 chamfered round-arched service doorways to the left, with roll-moulded hood moulds and a small carved head in between. Room to right divided from hall by late C16 inserted stack: chamfered bressumer over open fireplace with re-used roll-moulded jambs, and late C16 panelling. 2 fireplaces with chamfered bressuners to left. First floor: late C16 moulded stone fireplace to right. Porch has stop-chamfered beams, and close-studded left side wall with blocked 2-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned windows: C17 room to left of porch has stop-chamfered beam and chamfered bressumer over fireplace. Other interior features are by Blow and Billerus: these include some reused early C18 panelling, doors, fireplaces and a late C17-style staircase which has thick turned balusters and newel posts finished with roughly rounded blocks. The late C12 part of the house makes Appleton Manor one of the oldest surviving inhabited manor houses in Britain: "an amazing survival". (Pevsner). The late C12 hall is defined by the roll-moulded arris to the outer wall and the magnificent entrance and 2 service doorways at the other end. Appleton Manor was purchased by Sir John Fettiplace in 1580 - see Church of St. Lawrence (q.v.) - and in 1634 by Speaker Lenthall of Burford, who restored the Church at Besselsleigh (q.v.). (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.65-6; Arthur Oswald, "Appleton Manor", Country Life, 11th June 1929, pp.670-00; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.335; M. Wood, The English Medieval House, 1965, pp.124 and 539; 1820 drawings by Buckler in Bodleian Library, MS Top. Berks C.49, No.24 and Ms Top.gen.a.ll, fol.2, No.5)

Listing NGR: SP4435601510

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Wood, E - Title: The English Medieval House - Date: 1965 - Page References: 124 339
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Country Life - Date: 1929 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 670-00
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 65-6
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 335

National Grid Reference: SP4435601510

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 11:54:42.