List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VICTORIA MILL

List entry Number: 1197924

Location

VICTORIA MILL, LOWER VICKERS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Nov-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388305

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8599 LOWER VICKERS STREET, Miles Platting 698-1/15/747 (South side) 29/11/88 Victoria Mill

GV II*

Cotton spinning mill, now disused; a double mill built in 2 phases in 1869 and 1873. George Woodhouse, architect, for William Holland. Red brick with yellow brick dressings; roof not visible but probably slate. Fire-proof internal structure. U-plan formed by 2 large rectangular spinning mills, joined by a central engine house. Symmetrically planned about a central stair turret wrapped around the chimney with engine house (rebuilt in 1902 on conversion to rope drive) and boiler house to the rear, in the centre of a narrow courtyard formed by the 2 mill ranges to either side of the stair tower, a 3-window range, that to left with former internal engine house marked by partially blocked round-arched window; the right hand range obscured by a brick shaft of 1920. This central block is flanked by the 2 spinning mills, each a 6-storey, 11x10 bay block, with stressed angle pilasters (extended as privy towers to N elevation). Italianate detail of spinning mills, which have segmentally headed windows to 5 storeys, and coupled round-headed windows to the upper storey, arcaded with shafts and continuous sill band. 2-window towers towards centre of each mill appear to be later additions. Interior not inspected, but constructional system almost certainly transverse brick arches carried on cast iron columns. Ancillary buildings survive to NW of site, but former blowing rooms and offices, which were built parallel to the front of the mill across a narrow yard, and a range of ancillary buildings to the SE are no longer extant. A very large double mill for its date, which makes striking use of a distinctive industrial architectural vocabulary (especially in the economical design of combined stair tower and chimney). An excellent example of the development of a specifically industrial architecture, and of the work of George Woodhouse.

Listing NGR: SJ8590999261

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85909 99261

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 12:16:34.