List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTH EAST WING TO CHETHAMS HOSPITAL (FORMER MANCHESTER GRAMMAR SCHOOL)

List entry Number: 1197921

Location

SOUTH EAST WING TO CHETHAMS HOSPITAL (FORMER MANCHESTER GRAMMAR SCHOOL), LONG MILLGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388294

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8398NE LONG MILLGATE 698-1/26/228 (West side) 03/10/74 South-east wing to Chetham's Hospital (former Manchester Grammar School) (Formerly Listed as: LONG MILLGATE (West side) Manchester Training College)

GV II

School, now part of Music School. 1873-8, by Alfred Waterhouse. Red brick with sandstone dressings (roof concealed). Rectangular plan parallel to street, forming part of east side of courtyard of Chetham's Hospital. Tudor style. Three storeys over basement, with 4-storey gate tower, 1:1:6 bays, the 2nd being the gate tower and breaking forwards slightly; with stone basement, bands between floors, and embattled parapet with coupled octagonal chimneys and corner pinnacles. The main range has tall segmental-pointed 2-light windows at ground floor, with arched lights, and 2-light sashed windows to the upper floors with shafts; the gate tower to the left has a large segmental-pointed arched doorway moulded in 4 orders with rectangular stone surround lettered "SCOLA MANCUNIENSIS 1870", a small rose window above set into the corbel of a tiered 2-storey canted oriel at 1st and 2nd floors, a mullioned 5-light window at 3rd floor, a cornice with corbel table, embattled parapet with central upstand, and a tall octagonal turret attached to the left side. To the left is a narrow bay with 2-light windows on all floors; and attached to the left of this a later addition. Rear similar. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ8395198845

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 83951 98845

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:27:14.