List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARLOW HALL

List entry Number: 1197800

Location

BARLOW HALL, BARLOW HALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 387913

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SW BARLOW HALL ROAD, Barlow Moor 698-1/8/493 (South side) 03/10/74 Barlow Hall (Formerly Listed as: BARLOW HALL ROAD, Chorlton-Cum-Hardy Barlow Hall)

II

Also known as: Chorlton-cum-Hardy Golf Club BARLOW HALL ROAD Barlow Moor. Manor house, now golf club. C16 and C17 with C18 and C19 additions and alterations; badly damaged by fire in 1879, and partly reduced in C20; altered, with C20 additions. Mostly brick, with some surviving timber-framing; slate roofs. Formerly 4 ranges enclosing a courtyard, but east range demolished. Two storeys, without regular fenestration. The principal features of interest now are: the surviving north-east oriel or bay of the former hall in the west range, which is timber-framed, jettied and gabled, with a sandstone plinth, 12-light wooden mullion-and-transom window at ground floor (with much original glass: see below), jetty bressummer with mouchette carving, stud-and-rail framing at 1st floor with 3-light casement window (altered), and bargeboards with pierced quatrefoils; 2 timber-framed panels at 1st floor of the south side of the north range, which have short studs, quatrefoil panelling, and C20 casements; the former entrance porch on the north side of this range, which is of brick, 2-storeyed, gabled, and has a cambered timber lintel to the former waggon entry (now blocked, re-using a carved bargeboard or bressummer as a lower lintel); and at the west end of the south side of the south range an early C19 single-storey semi-circular bay which has French windows with margin panes, flanked by 12-pane sashes. West range has gabled wing at north end, but is otherwise now entirely covered by C20 single-storey lean-to glazed loggia. Interior: oriel window with some stained glass shields and one pane lettered "1574"; egg-and-dart frieze to south-west bow window; roof of west range said to have old timbers. History: was home of Blessed Ambrose Barlow, born 1585 and martyred at Lancaster 1641.

Listing NGR: SJ8223392055

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 82233 92055

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 08:38:14.