List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD WHITE HART INN

List entry Number: 1197696

Location

THE OLD WHITE HART INN, SILVER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Kingston upon HullUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 387790

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON UPON HULL

680-1/22/349 SILVER STREET 13-OCT-52 (North side) THE OLD WHITE HART INN

II*



House, now Public house and restaurant. c1660, remodelled in 1881 by Smith & Brodrick, further altered late C20. MATERIALS: red brick, painted at first floor level, coped gables and pantile roof covering. PLAN: 2 bars on ground floor divided by the staircase set slightly to left. 2 rooms on first floor used as restaurant. EXTERIOR: 2 storey plus attics. Late C17 Artisan Mannerist facade, much altered in 1881. Slightly projecting centre bay with pedimented gable. To left canted 2-sided bay, formed in 1881. Two 4-light transomed windows under square heads with keystones. Round-arched brick doorway with leaded glazed door, oval overlight. To right, 3 windows similar to those left of doorway. Further right chamfered angle with double panelled door flanked by window to left. Prominent dentilled cornice of 1881. First floor less altered. 7-window range. Either side of the central bay three 12-pane sash windows, side ones in sunken surrounds, centre ones slightly projecting. Central bay with tall single-light window, attic has square single-light window, both dated c1881. Lower one has straight sided pediment above, upper one round-headed pediment. Pediments re-used from above former ground floor windows, modillion eaves, renewed coped gables. Ground floor, upper central window, and upper floor of former billiard room across alley with stained glass of 1881. To right, late C18 and early C19 additions, brick with rendered ground floor. Two 3 storey ranges linked by single storey block, all with irregular fenestration. INTERIOR: ground floor bars largely result of 1881 remodelling including broad, deep brick fireplace in each. Panelled bar fronts 1881 in C17 style but canted appearance of left-hand one late C20, and possibly right-hand one also. Dog-leg staircase with both original C17 woodwork and 1881 additions. Fire damage from 1883 showing on some timbers. Turned balusters and square newels. On staircase C17 plank door with round-headed panel. On right of first floor landing full-height, oak-panelled room, some reused early C17 details in overmantel, elaborate frieze. To left of landing room again panelled to full height but details somewhat plainer. Small panelled room leads off from one corner behind stair. In landing window stained glass depicting Sir John Hotham, Governor of Hull from 1641. HISTORY: tradition, believed to originate in C19, that the pubic house was the residence of Sir John Hotham who in 1642 precipitated the siege of Hull, and in turn the Civil War, by refusing to admit Charles I to the city. Evidence from documentary and architectural research in the late C20 indicates the building was not erected until after the Civil War. A good example of the modest but free use of Classical models in what has become styled the 'Artisan Mannerist' style. The remodelling of 1881 is an interesting, Romantic recreation of an idealised C17 inn, complete with massive fireplaces. SOURCES: R. Barnard, The Old White Hart: Age and Myths (2nd ed., Hull, 1998). N. Pevsner & D. Neave, Buildings of England: Yorkshire: York and the East Riding (2nd. ed., Harmondsworth, 1995), 537.

Listing NGR: TA0999628705

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 09996 28706

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:53:25.