List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GUILDHALL

List entry Number: 1197456

Location

THE GUILDHALL, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityChard Town

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 374108

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARD

ST3308 FORE STREET 756-1/4/80 (South side) 24/03/50 The Guildhall

GV II*

Former Corn Exchange and Guildhall, now Town Hall. 1834. Ham Hill stone ashlar; slate roof. T-shape plan. Classical style. 2 storeys, symmetrical 5-window range: central 3 set forward under 2-storey hexastyle Doric portico with continuous plinth forming low wall to loggia; columns to far left and right are closer and this articulation is reflected below and on the facade of the 1st floor, where Doric pilasters separate the windows. The ground floor has a double row of Tuscan columns and entablature, with a C20 facade to entrance. To the far left and right, double doors are set in semi-circular arches with banded rustication to surrounds. All windows have moulded architraves with cornices and consoles. Surmounting the dentilled pediment is a substantial domed cupola with clocks to 3 sides below. INTERIOR: remodelled c1970, except for the council chamber and mayor`s parlour on the first floor. The parlour is the rear arm of the T-plan; it has a high panelled plaster ceiling, chamfered, similar to coved; a glazed ceramic fireplace, dado-rail and high skirting boards; 5-panel doors with a horizontal panel to the centre and a tripartite sash with margin-panes to the rear. The council chamber, to the centre front, is articulated by pilasters with recessed panels; it has high skirting boards and deep segmental-arched recesses to each end, that to the rear with a dais and original mahogany bench, now painted; heavy plaster cornice; tall 6-panel doors with applied mouldings, have moulded architraves with cornices. The Corporation Minute book has entries dated 1833 resolving that the early C16 Guildhall be taken down and erected in a more convenient place. (Collinson J: History of Somerset: London: 1791-: P.461).

Listing NGR: ST3222308558

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Collinson, J - Title: History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset - Date: 1791 - Page References: 461

National Grid Reference: ST 32223 08558

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 11:49:23.