List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHARD MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1197429

Location

CHARD MANOR FARMHOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityChard Town

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 374035

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARD

ST3308 CHURCH STREET 756-1/4/8 (West side) 24/03/50 Chard Manor Farmhouse

GV II*

Farmhouse, now residential home. C15/early C16; completely remodelled and extended, c1740. Painted render with Ham Hill stone dressings and slate roof with brick stacks. Single-depth through-passage 3-unit plan with central open hall extended to 4-unit 2-storey plan in mid C18. C20 outshut to rear. 2 storeys, 7-window range. 6-panel door under 3rd window from left with pediment on brackets. Moulded stone cornice and copings to parapet and gable ends. All windows are 6/6-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and forward frames. INTERIOR: room to left has axial stopped-chamfer beam and large brick inglenook fireplace with oak lintel to back left corner; small cupboard with drawer below set into rear wall. Entrance hall has open-well, open-string staircase with carved brackets and turned balusters supporting swept and wreathed mahogany rail. Square landing has 1740 box-cornice, which, with the ceiling, is enriched with later-C18 Rococco plasterwork. Round-arched window in rear wall on half-landing with raised-and-fielded panelling to reveals. Room to right of hall has raised-and-fielded panelling, stone fireplace, semi-circular alcove and a door in the back wall; low ceiling with wooden cornice and deep-set windows with raised-and-fielded panelled shutters and window seats. Room to far right is fully panelled with fireplace on end wall. This has a dentilled mantel shelf with egg-and-dart ornaments; the surround itself has rich Baroque ornament. Former late medieval 3-bay open hall has moulded (ogee and hollow) surround to ground-floor fireplace on rear wall and 2 arch-braced collar trusses with trenched purlins; feet of principal rafters (possibly jointed crucks) have been truncated; 2-bay service end with similar truss to left, (west), and ground-floor beam. First-floor rooms are plain. SUBSIDIARY FEATURE: C19 cottage, set back and attached to left with rear extension. Render on rubble, double-pitch pantile roof. 2 storeys, one-window range. Connected inside to main house, totally altered c1970.

Listing NGR: ST3225908163

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 32262 08164

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:19:57.