List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1197066

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST ANNE, PRESCOT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireWest LancashireDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386410

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORMSKIRK

SD40NW PRESCOT ROAD 663-1/4/170 (East side) Roman Catholic Church of St Anne

II

Roman Catholic church. 1851, with some small extensions. Crazed sandstone cladding (perhaps on brick), with sandstone ashlar dressings and fishscale slate roof. Decorated style. Nave on north-south axis, with south tower, east and west aisles, north chancel with west chapel. The square tower, with angle-buttresses and a north-east stair-turret, has a plinth with massive moulded coping, a 2-centred arched trefoil-headed south doorway with deeply moulded surround and hoodmould with figured stops; an ogival-headed niche containing a statue of St Anne, a weathered band to the belfry stage which has louvred 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, and an embattled parapet and swept pyramidal roof. The 6-bay nave, with pilasters strips and corbel tables, has spherical-triangle clerestory windows. The aisles, with buttreses, have 2-centred arched 2-light windows with hoodmoulds which have foliated stops; and the west aisle, which carries across the side of the tower, has a gabled porch to the 2nd bay, with a double-chamfered 2-centred arched doorway, and at the north end a canted bay with blind arcading. The chapel to the north of this has 2 tall lancets in the side and a 2-centred arched window in the north gable, with reticulated tracery. Most windows have cast-iron diamond lattice glazing. INTERIOR: conventional, with octagonal columns carrying double-chamfered aisle arcades. High alter designed by Edmund Kirby, a Liverpool architect, in 1874 and carved by Roddis, sculptor.

Listing NGR: SD4095007710

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 40950 07710

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:36:26.