List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CITADEL STATION

List entry Number: 1196969

Location

CITADEL STATION, COURT SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386689

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY4055 COURT SQUARE 671-1/11/102 (West side) 13/11/72 Citadel Station

GV II*

Railway station. 1847-8 for a Joint Station Committee, by Sir William Tite; extended 1879-80. Calciferous sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses, eaves cornice and solid parapets. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables; some skylights and gabled roof dormers; ashlar ridge and end chimney stacks. Glazed overall roof behind the main facade covering the running lines. Tudor Style. Main facade is of 2 storeys, numerous bays in a long continuous row of differing roof levels. Central port-cochere of 5 bays, each pointed arch divided by a buttress carried up as a finial. Over each arch are coats-of-arms; central Royal arms flanked by those of Lancaster & Carlisle Railway and Caledonian Railway, remaining panels intended for Maryport & Carlisle Railway and Newcastle & Carlisle Railway left blank. Over, and in the offices to the right, are mullioned and transomed windows mostly of 3-lights. Between the entrance and offices is a clock tower which is octagonal on a square base. The single-storey former waiting and refreshment rooms (at the left) have a series of facing gabled projections with various mullioned and canted bay windows. Under the glazed roof, which is supported on a series of hooped trusses, is a central footbridge of crossed girders linking with the island platforms. The island buildings are also of 2 storeys, numerous bays in a continuous row; doorways and windows in restrained Tudor style. INTERIOR: Numerous stone fireplaces in Tudor style, some in former refreshment rooms are inscribed and dated, see Bonavia (1987), for an illustration of one. For further details and removal of part of roof in 1957-8, see Robinson (1986). Detached wall for demolished roof is listed separately. The building by Tite is among the most important early major railway stations in Britain. (Bonavia MR: Historic Railway Sites in Britain: 1987-: P.139; Robinson PW: Rail Centres, Carlisle: 1986-).

Listing NGR: NY4023655540

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bonavia, M R , Historic Railway Sites in Britain, (1987), 139
Robinson, P W , Rail Centres Carlisle, (1986)

National Grid Reference: NY 40236 55540

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 04:15:07.