List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COLEDALE HALL

List entry Number: 1196932

Location

COLEDALE HALL, 94 AND 96, NEWTOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386813

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY3856 NEWTOWN ROAD 671-1/5/221 (North side) 01/06/49 Nos.94 AND 96 Coledale Hall (Formerly Listed as: NEWTOWN ROAD No.94 Coledale Hall)

GV II*

House and stable range now office and house. 1810 for Henry Fawcett (MP for Carlisle); 1846 internal alterations for George Mould (railway contractor) by Mr Withnal. Flemish bond brickwork with light headers on chamfered calciferous sandstone plinth (all dressings of this material partly painted); raised V-jointed quoins and cornice with solid parapet. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables; original end brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with single-storey, single-bay set-back right extension, lower left single-bay link wall with carriage archway and 2-storey stable range now No.96. Central panelled door with fanlight in prostyle Ionic porch. Sash windows with glazing bars under flat brick arches in brick reveals on stone sills. Right gabled extension has C20 door within a gabled wooden porch with shaped bargeboards. The rear is more impressive than the front; central panelled door with side lights under patterned overall elliptical overlight. Flanking bowed bay windows with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Upper floor sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves. INTERIOR is particularly fine. Hallway has fluted Ionic columns and (1846?) cantilever stone staircase with patterned wrought-iron balusters and moulded wooden handrail. Panelled doors, some in panelled reveals and in moulded wooden architraves. Hall and principal ground-floor rooms have elaborate moulded plaster ceilings; modillioned cornices, roundels and radiating sectional panels; black and white marble fireplaces, one with carved details. Panelled internal shutters to each window. Alcove with segmental arch on console brackets. The house name comes from Richard Coledale, a merchant who lived here in the reign on Henry VI, but it had been called Harrington Houses. See Carlisle Journal (1810) for laying of foundation stone of present house; Carlisle Journal (1846) records the internal alterations. Became St Mary's Home for Friendless Girls in 1926 and now Health Authority Office. Left link wall and stable range, now No.96, are only included to preserve the carriage archway, which is contemporary with the facade of Coledale Hall. (Carlisle Journal: 26 May 1810; Carlisle Journal: 28 February 1846).

Listing NGR: NY3836755999

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Carlisle Journal' in 26 May, (1810)
'Carlisle Journal' in 28 February, (1846)

National Grid Reference: NY 38367 55999

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 02:39:03.