List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRUSTEE SAVINGS BANK AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1196930

Location

TRUSTEE SAVINGS BANK AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, LOWTHER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386805

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY4055NW LOWTHER STREET 671-1/12/203 (East side) 01/06/49 Trustee Savings Bank and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: LOWTHER STREET (East side) Premises occupied by Trustee Savings Bank (including entrance to Gretna Hall))

GV II*

Formerly known as: Carlisle Savings Bank LOWTHER STREET. Athenaeum now bank. 1840, for the subscribers, by Arthur and George Williams of Liverpool. Calciferous sandstone ashlar (from Prudhoe Quarries) on chamfered plinth, with giant order pilasters and Corinthian capitals; moulded entablature, modillioned cornice and parapet, partly balustraded with central festoon and flanking head panels. Graduated slate roof without chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Recessed end bays have C20 panelled doors and overlight in architraves under bracketed cornice; small sash windows above in stone architraves with moulded sill bands under festoon panels. Central 3 bays have sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves on bracketed moulded sills under console-bracketed cornices. Upper floor sash windows with glazing bars in eared architraves on moulded sill bands. INTERIOR entirely gutted in 1988 (had been altered in 1874 and 1929). The railings in front are 1988. HISTORY: references to the construction of the building are in the Carlisle Journal (1839, 1840 and 1845). For details of costs and later sale see Mannix & Whellan (1847). Opened in 1874 as part of the adjoining Post Office. Became part of the Gretna Tavern in 1916 and front part converted into Savings Bank by JH Martindale 9 July 1929. Has an impressive facade when viewed down Devonshire Street. (Carlisle Journal: 2 February 1839; Carlisle Journal: 2 May 1840; Carlisle Journal: 18 January 1845; Mannix and Whellan: Directory of Cumberland: 1847-: P.140).

Listing NGR: NY4026355779

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mannix, , Whellan, , Directory of Cumberland, (1847), 140
'Carlisle Journal' in 2 February, (1839)
'Carlisle Journal' in 18 January, (1845)
'Carlisle Journal' in 2 May, (1840)

National Grid Reference: NY 40263 55779

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:20:10.