List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

List entry Number: 1196929

Location

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, LOWTHER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386803

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY4055NW LOWTHER STREET 671-1/12/201 (East side) 22/03/74 Congregational Church

GV II*

Non-Conformist Church. 1842-3 by John Nichol of Edinburgh and Carlisle. Calciferous sandstone ashlar with panelled pilaster quoins carried up as turrets under shaped scrolled pediments and speared ball finials; shaped modillions and cornice under open balustraded parapet. Roof not visible from street. Tall single-storey, 3-bay facade, forming part of a terrace. Central panelled double doors up steps within tetrastyle pilastered portico, console-bracketed cornice and shaped parapet. Flanking cast-iron rails and left gate around cellar void, with steps down to cellar door. Projecting bay over entrance has alternate shaped raised quoins, projects above parapet as a Dutch gable with speared ball finials flanking central shaft finial. Tall central window in stone architrave with console-bracketed cornice and mock heraldic scrolled festoon. Similar tall flanking windows. Wall mounted plaque refers to the Rev Thomas Woodrow who was minister of this church (on another site) 1820-35 and placed to commemorate the visit of his grandson, US President Woodrow Wilson, on 29 December 1918. INTERIOR: porch divided from main body by plaster screen with 2 doorways and frosted glass windows. 2 flights of stone steps with twisted cast-iron balusters and moulded wooden handrail, flank the door and lead to the balcony. Rib-vaulted ceiling. Main body of church has gallery on 3 sides supported on clustered columns; Gothic wooden panelling. High central round-headed east window of coloured glass; below is organ rebuilt and enlarged in 1906. Flanking east windows, that on left with World War II stained-glass angel. Barrel-vaulted ribbed plaster ceiling with roundels. C20 oak pulpit; patterned cast-iron altar rail. C19 numbered oak pews. Wall mounted marble plaque of 1913 to James Robinson. Opened for worship 19 March 1843. For further details see Macdonald, CWAAS,Trans.NS LXXI, and Burgess (1988). (Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series: MacDonald MIM: LXXI: Mr Nichol of Edinburgh, architect: P.295; Burgess, John: Congregational Churches of Cumbria (typescript): 1988-).

Listing NGR: NY4026755752

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 71, (), 295
Burgess, J, 'Congregational Churches of Cumbria' in Congregational Churches of Cumbria, (1988)

National Grid Reference: NY 40267 55752

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:04:21.