List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TONTINE SHOPS

List entry Number: 1195851

Location

THE TONTINE SHOPS, TONTINE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Mar-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384502

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ8847 TONTINE STREET, Hanley 613-1/8/177 (South East side) 02/10/51 The Tontine Shops (Formerly Listed as: TONTINE STREET, Hanley Butchers' Market)

GV II

Butchers' market, now shopping mall. 1837 remodelled 1989-91. Ashlar with Welsh slate hipped roof. Square plan, the shops arranged around a central atrium. Late classical style. Single storey to front and sides, mainly 2 storeys to rear. Facade is a fine symmetrical composition with central entrance and clock tower over, linked to pedimented wings by unfluted Doric column screens now with glazing between. Central entrance has chanelled rustication and a round-arched head. This section breaks forward and above the entablature supports an octagonal small clock tower with leaded dome. The entablature continues over the screens and wings which have paried Doric half columns either side of a moulded stone doorcase with pediment supported by consoles. Double doors and overlights with decorative glazing. Both sides of the mall are plain but with a central entrance similar to the facade, pilasters at intervals and a continuous entablature. The right side has a single bay of two storeys towards the rear with paired sashes. Rear is in two sections, that to right on an angle and has a central aedicule in recent stonework, framing a doorcase similar to those on the facade. Either side of the aedicule are two windows with moulded stone architraves and similar small windows over, with decorative glazing. The other section of the rear has large glazed openings to ground floor with further door and windows to left. First floor has single or paired sashes and three gables. INTERIOR late C20.

Listing NGR: SJ8839647578

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 88396 47578

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:57:02.