List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1195835

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, NORTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384462

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ85SE NORTON LANE, Norton In The Moors 613-1/2/108 (West side) 02/10/51 Church of St Bartholomew

II

Parish Church. 1738 by Richard Trubshaw, the chancel and its chapels rebuilt 1914 by JH Beckett. Brick with stone dressings. West tower, nave and 2 aisles, chancel. West tower of 2 stages with stone string courses, and angle pilasters capped by ball finials above the parapet. Doorway with segmentally-arched head and large voussoirs. Circular and round-arched openings above. Blind windows in west walls of aisles, which have stone quoins, plinths and cornice. Aisles of 3 bays with brick aprons and stone sills to round-arched windows. South aisle chapel probably added with chancel in 1914, with Palladian window in south wall. The north aisle chapel has paired hipped roofed bays and was added in 1916. Chancel also an addition, with Palladian east window with stone apron and cross in pedimented east gable. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: Harmondsworth).

Listing NGR: SJ8940351481

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

National Grid Reference: SJ 89403 51481

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 03:16:34.