List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1195828

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384379

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ84SE CHURCH ROAD, Blurton 613-1/6/3 (West side) 02/10/51 Church of St Bartholomew

II

Parish church. Largely of 1626, rebuilding an earlier structure of c1500, and with some later additions. Coursed and squared sandstone, with plain tiled roofs. Nave with 2 aisles, and chancel. Bellcote at western end of nave, added by George Gilbert Scott in 1846. Timber, with pierced quatrefoil panels and shingle roof carrying weather cock. South porch possibly also added by Scott, heavy timbering on stone plinth. Inner doorway with round-arched simple chamfered lintel. Two 3-light hollow chamfered mullioned windows to nave, and traces of earlier windows at higher level, now blocked. Sundial on south wall dated 1668 with initials T.A. Chancel added in 1750 but incorporating earlier mullioned window in south wall. Moulded stone eaves cornice and plinth interupted in SW by former doorway now blocked. North aisle added in 1867 by Charles Lynham, brick with stone facings to east, and stone mullioned windows. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: Harmondsworth).

Listing NGR: SJ8988841890

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

National Grid Reference: SJ 89888 41890

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 12:24:39.