List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD TOWN HALL (BURSLEM RECREATION CENTRE)

List entry Number: 1195811

Location

OLD TOWN HALL (BURSLEM RECREATION CENTRE), MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Mar-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384448

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ8649NE MARKET PLACE, Burslem 613-1/10/14 Old Town Hall (Burslem Recreation 02/10/51 Centre) (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE, Burslem Former Town Hall)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Public Library. Former town hall. 1854. By GT Robinson of Leamington. Ashlar. 2-storeyed, the main hall of 7 bays with western tower over open entrance or passage way. Baroque in inspiration. Battered ground floor of channelled ashlar with heavy moulded plinth carrying paired Corinthian pilasters to first floor which support cornice beneath parapet with pronounced overhang and frieze. Ground floor windows set in coved recesses with keystones, tall round-arched windows above. West tower has open ground floor with coved arches on 3 sides and paired Corinthian columns at outer angles. Volutes to clock tower terminate in caryatids carrying the blocking course beneath octagonal turret with ogival roof and angel finial. Eastern end divided into 3 bays with pilasters to first storey. Central doorway to ground floor with coved architrave to panelled door. Upper sash windows have shell motifs as hood. INTERIOR: double staircase with heavily scrolled iron balusters, and heavy classical architraves to doorways. Main chamber at first floor level, with Corinthian pilasters articulating the walls, coved ceiling with elaborate wrought-iron ties.

Listing NGR: SJ8683249844

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 86832 49844

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:33:37.