List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1195802

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384423

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ85SE HIGH STREET, Tunstall 613-1/2/162 (East side) Christ Church

II

Parish Church, a Commissioners Church of 1831-2. By Francis Bedford, with extensions by AR Wood. Faced with coursed and squared rubble, with Welsh slate roofs. West tower with flanking aisles to nave, aisle chapels and enlarged chancel of 1884. West tower of 3 stages, with west doorway in chamfered arch with simple hood mould. Lancet light and clock over, and paired bell chamber lights. Angle buttresses form cusped finials to parapet. Blind west windows to aisles, which are divided into bays by thin pilaster buttresses with gablets, each bay containing paired lancet windows. South door with moulded arch beneath angled hood mould suggesting vestigial gable. South aisle chapel, and chancel with 5-light Decorated east window with panelled frieze below and central buttress with gablet. North vestry. INTERIOR: the church has a single span Queen strut roof. West gallery, and chancel arch with marble shafts carried on corbels. Boarded ceiling in chancel, painted with quatrefoil frieze. Stained glass and fittings (altar, reredos etc) are early C20. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh R B: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-).

Listing NGR: SJ8595351719

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Stafford - Date: 1963

National Grid Reference: SJ 85953 51719

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 01:46:16.