List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1195800

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, HARTSHILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384418

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ8645SE HARTSHILL ROAD, Hartshill 613-1/9/66 (North side) 19/04/72 Church of the Holy Trinity

GV II*

Parish church. 1842. By George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt. Stone with plain tiled roof with scalloped bands. Decorated style, with west tower and spire, nave with 2 aisles and clerestory, chancel. 4-stage west tower with clasping buttresses terminating in pinnacles. West door with paired shafts to triple chamfered arch. 3-light window over, then an oculus. Paired bell chamber lights. Trefoiled frieze below parapet. Spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. South porch with shafts to moulded arch repeated on inner doorway. Nave of 4 bays divided by gableted buttresses, each with a 2-light traceried window. Corbels support projecting parapet. Low clerestory above, with quatrefoil windows. Ornate chancel: shafts with foliate capitals and hood moulds to windows. INTERIOR: high arcade of 5 bays with clusters shafts carrying rib vaulted ceiling. Encaustic floor tiles throughout and tiled dado with high glazed frieze and quatrefoil memorial tiles inset. Original pews with poppy-head bench ends. Deep-moulded chancel arch. Wood reredos with interlace in panelling and riddle posts, installed as war memorial. Painted panelled ceiling to chancel, and vaulted roof over apse. Early-medieval-style stained glass to chancel, with small lozenges containing scenes, and Mannerist-style glass in south aisle of 1902-4. The church was endowed by Herbert Minton. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh R B: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-).

Listing NGR: SJ8654545835

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1963)

National Grid Reference: SJ 86545 45835

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:16:35.