List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FLYING SCOTSMAN PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1195703

Location

272-276, PENTONVILLE ROAD
THE FLYING SCOTSMAN PUBLIC HOUSE, 2-4, CALEDONIAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityIslingtonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 369199

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3083SW PENTONVILLE ROAD 635-1/62/682 (North side) Nos.272-276 (Even)

GV II

Includes: Nos.2-4 The Flying Scotsman P.H. CALEDONIAN ROAD. Offices, and public house, with offices and flats above. 1900-01. By Wylson and Long, probably for James Kirk. Brown glazed brick and buff terracotta, roof obscured by parapet. Five storeys, four windows to Pentonville Road, eleven to Caledonian Road, the corner of the building curved in plan. The ground floor of nos 272-276 Pentonville Road is of c.1930; that of nos 2-4 Caledonian Road is almost certainly the original pub frontage of 1901: three bays flanked by six-sided columns of pink granite with banded rustication, capitals in the manner of a pulvinated frieze, and a triangular fin on the front face running down through the top three blocks on the columns. Glazed wooden screens between piers with pilasters and cornice, and doors at either end and in the middle. The doors have segmental-arched heads, and panelling details all over this front are variations on the segmental arch. Squat corbelled colonnettes from dado rail to principal windows, etched glass in central windows and some others; top lights have a shallow double-curved profile echoed in the interior fittings; fascia obscured. Flat-arched windows to upper floors; first-floor windows in groups of four, one group to Pentonville Road, two to Caledonian Road, with terracotta architraves, keystones and shallow, round-arched mouldings above; three remaining windows to Caledonian Road have keystones only. Sill-band to second-floor windows with scrolled terracotta ornament, the windows arranged as for the first floor but with pointed-arched mouldings with straight sides. Third floor entirely faced with terracotta; pairs of windows flanked by Corinthian pilasters rising from sill-band and corbels with grotesque heads; the windows have keystones with grotesque heads; modillion cornice. Attic storey to nos 272-276 consisting of two gables to each street front, parapet and corner tower, the whole of glazed brick with terracotta detailing in the form of pilasters and entablature to windows, scrolled consoles, coping to parapet and gables, and ribs and mouldings of corner tower; metal cresting to tower. INTERIOR: of nos 2-4 Caledonian Road: the pub interior is a single space divided by glazed wooden screens with fielded panelling up to about seven feet, and cornice mouldings to all original partitioned spaces. Screen incorporating the bar-back wih an open arcade of swelling Corinthian colonnettes, supporting shallow double-curved arches; screen running back from street front has etched glass panels; enclosed staircase at north-east corner with etched glass panels and newel post with Jacobean detailing and an octagonal finial of Arts and Crafts character, Over the bar-back in the south bar, a cartouche inscribed 'THE SCOTTISH STORES 1901'. On the walls, a set of coloured lithographs by Cecil Aldin of 1900, set into frames in the panelling. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3044683026

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30446 83026

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 10:16:39.