List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1195507

Location

6-9, CANONBURY PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityIslingtonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 368658

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3284NW CANONBURY PLACE 635-1/47/167 (East side) 20/09/54 Nos.6-9 (Consecutive) (Formerly Listed as: CANONBURY PLACE No.6) (Formerly Listed as: CANONBURY PLACE No.7) (Formerly Listed as: CANONBURY PLACE Nos.8 & 9)

GV II*

Terraced houses. Probably on the site of and incorporating parts of the central range of Sir John Spencer's late Cl6 manor house. The row now consists of two units only: nos 6-7, a house, and nos 8-9, now Canonbury Children's Day Care Centre. Nos 6-7 have some internal features similar to nos 1-5 (q.v.), built by John Dawes c.1771; and there are early C19 alterations. Brick, stucco and roofs of slate. The former no 6 presents a separate appearance to Canonbury Place: three storeys, two bays, flat-arched recessed sash windows to ground and first floors, round-arched above. Original glazing bars to ground and first floors. Entrance with architrave, panelled door, deep overlight and deep cornice on consoles. Cornice below second floor sills from which four simple pilasters run up to the parapet. Return to no 7 stuccoed with expressed stack. South elevation: early C18; yellow brick with red brick dressings; two storeys plus dormers, six-window range, the windows with flat arches of gauged brick; single-storey bay, two windows wide, and probably of C19 date, to west end, one lead rainwater-head of late C18 date. Band between ground and first floors and above first floor; plain red brick pilasters to either end of elevation; parapet. Rear elevation, facing onto Alwyne Place, has stretches of plum-coloured brick in English bond, and one casement window, facing north, possibly of C16 date. The former no 7 consists of the four southern bays of the main north-south range of buildings, and nos 8-9 make up the rest. Three storeys; one part to the south, under three large contiguous gables, appears to be of the C18 and has five bays of flat-arched recessed windows with sashes to the ground and first floors, some original, and casements in the gables; at north end of this part, a battlemented porch with pointed-arched windows to either side, diagonal buttresses and front entrance now blocked. The part to the north, which looks early C19, has scattered flat-arched windows with casements, flat-arched entrance and, at the north end, a semi-circular, embattled, single-storey bay with drip-moulds over the three windows. The rear elevations of nos 7-9, facing Alwyne Place, have a three-storey stuccoed bay towards the south with dripmoulds and blank panelling in the Tudor style and a truncated gable, and a two-storey wing to the north with two large and one small roof dormers. INTERIOR: of nos 6-7: entrance hall with two elaborately moulded round arches facing the entrance, the right-hand one blank. The staircase from the entrance hall has a curtail step, wreathed and ramped handrail, stick balusters and an open string decorated with scrolling ornament as in nos 1-5. On the ground floor there is a small cross-vaulted lobby with doors having early C19 architraves; the south-east room has a chimneypiece partly of c.1600: fireplace surround with eared architrave flanked by panelled tapering pilasters, Adam details to the frieze and dentil cornice to the mantelshelf which breaks forward over the pilasters; paired columns either side of the overmantel flanking a moulded panel and supporting an architrave with fluted brackets, fluted panels and dentil cornice; the upper architrave matches one at Compton Wynyates, Warwickshire. In the room north of the staircase hall there is a Tudor-arched doorway in the east wall with two roll-mouldings to the architrave and carved detail including Prior Bolton's rebus in the spandrels; the door has 3 x 3 moulded panels; the architrave of a higher doorway of similar date is partly preserved next to it, and both were installed here in the 1950s. The north-west room on the ground floor has a C19 marble fireplace with cast-iron grate, and a moulded plaster cornice. The rear staircase has a curtail step, wreathed and ramped handrail, and turned balusters on the ground and first floors. The principal room at the north end of the first floor has a decorative plaster ceiling dated 1599 decorated with a royal coat of arms and date in the central panel, and figures of Tarquin, Aegeria and Julius Caesar, and with other classical figures in the subsidiary panels; the strapwork is decorated with scrolling flowers and the intervening spaces with sprays of flowers. The crispness of the modelling and the character of the timberwork in the roof above it cast a little doubt on the date of this ceiling. The north-west room on the first floor has a few timbers stencilled to give the effect of panelling c.1600, and the same detail can be seen in the central east room on the second floor. The south-east room on the first floor has full fielded panelling and an elaborate cornice. INTERIOR: of nos 8-9: three door surrounds to ground floor of late C18 or early C19; staircase from ground to first floor has turned newels, stick balusters, moulded and ramped handrail and open string; from the first to second floor it is possibly of C16 date, with square corniced newel posts, closed string, vase balusters and moulded handrail. On the ground floor, east side, late C16 plaster ceiling with coved cornice, the design consisting of circles overlaid with other circles and quatrefoils, the ribs decorated with meandering foliage and the points of junction and intersection decorated with large and small pendants; the spandrels decorated with stylised foliage. Over this room, on the first floor, a similar ceiling with foliage ribs in circles, squares and chamfered rectangles, the spaced filled with emblems, figures of heroes and foliage sprays, one panel having the date 1599. To the west side, a smaller room with a ceiling of similar date, the foliage ribs in a pattern of lozenges, segments and squares, with emblems and sprays; this ceiling now incomplete. (Country Life 1926, vol. 59, pp.630-8.).

Listing NGR: TQ3201284521

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 59, (1926), 630-8

National Grid Reference: TQ 32004 84526

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 02:36:57.