List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENTONVILLE PRISON, A, B, C AND D WINGS, AND CHAPEL WING

List entry Number: 1195491

Location

PENTONVILLE PRISON, A, B, C AND D WINGS, AND CHAPEL WING, CALEDONIAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityIslingtonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 368620

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3184NE CALEDONIAN ROAD 635-1/44/129 (East side) Pentonville Prison, A, B, C and D wings, and chapel wing

II

Prison. 1840-42. Designed by Colonel Joshua Jebb in association with William Crawford and Whitworth Russell; addition of 220 cells in 1867; the vaulted roof removed and a storey added 1871-90; alterations to windows, 1910-14; reroofing and other alterations in progress at the time of inspection. Brown brick, stone and stucco, roofs where visible of steel covered with PVC. The cell-blocks are four long wings which radiate north (A wing), north-east (B wing), south-east (C wing) and south (D wing) from the eastern end of the chapel wing. Chapel wing. Stucco and brick, roof obscured by parapet. Rusticated basement. The principal front faces west and has a central, segmental-arched window in the basement, formerly an entrance, with a flat-arched window either side; giant Doric order to three bays above, with outer antae and inner engaged columns, all blocked and the faces of the blocks faceted; round-arched windows between now blank; entablature and parapet much rebuilt. Returns have brick to half-basement and ground floor with segmental-arched windows, stucco above with four round-arched windows to the chapel with pilasters between, again blocked and faceted; entablature and parapet; late C20 additions to north return. A wing is of five storeys and 28 cells long; segmental-arched windows set back under a segmental arch; the gable end has a five-light window with mullions and transoms of stone, now rendered; the window is in two sections, the lower section flat-arched, the upper round-arched with radiating mullions; roof of PVC-coated steel. B wing is of four storeys over basement, and 37 cells long; the windows are variously flat-arched, segmental-arched, and segmental-arched set back under a segmental arch; the gable end has a five-light window as for A wing, with the lower section set into an apse-like parapeted and chamfered bay; roof of PVC-coated steel. C wing is of four storeys over basement, apart from a central section of 9 windows which was hit by a bomb in 1941 and rebuilt to three storeys in 1958 as the education block. The wing has 11 windows west of the edcuation block, and 15 east of it; the windows are variously flat-arched, segmental-arched, and segmental-arched set back under a segmental arch; the gable end has a five-light window as on B wing; roof of PVC-coated steel only where visible. D wing is of five storeys and 27 cells long; segmental-arched windows set back under a segmental arch; gable end has a five-light window as for A wing; roof of PVC-coated steel. INTERIOR: The original plan of the prison survives: the wings are top-lit atria with galleried cells down either side, converging in such a way that the central well of each wing can be viewed from a single point at the end of the chapel wing; other original features include the bracketed galleries (but not the stairs or handrails to the galleries except in A wing), the entrances to the cells in the form of a segmental arch set back under a segmental-arch, and many of the cell doors, though the latter are currently being replaced. Pentonville was the most influential example of prison architecture in the Victorian period. Known when it was built as the 'Model Prison', it embodied two principles whose influence extended up to about 1900: a radial plan for ease of supervision, which survives today; and the separate cell system, which aimed to reform prisoners by isolating them from each other; the separate cell system was first adopted on a large and thorough scale among British prisons at Pentonville. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3069784574

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30697 84574

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 10:25:09.