List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1195365

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireStaffordDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384034

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAFFORD

SJ9223SW ST MARY'S GATE 590-1/10/83 (West side) 16/01/51 Church of St Mary

GV I

Former collegiate church. Early C13 nave and aisles; later C13 chancel and aisles; early C14 north transept; late C14 aisle roofs; C15 clerestories to nave and north transept, and crossing tower; extensively restored, and chancel south aisle, south transept and crossing rebuilt by Sir Gilbert Scott, 1841-4. MATERIALS: coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings; tile roofs with fishscale bands and cresting to chancel south aisle and south transept. EXTERIOR: chancel has aisles under gabled roofs; deep plinth and sill courses; shafted windows with hoods with stops; coped gables with gargoyle to valley to left; C19 five-light east window with Geometrical tracery. 4-bay chancel north aisle cornice and coped parapet with gargoyles; 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery between offset buttresses and C19 four-light Early English east window. 4-bay chancel south aisle has large gabled buttresses rising above cornice and coped parapet; two C19 three-light Early English windows and two 3-light windows with Geometrical tracery, one C19; end turret with small broach spire; C19 three-light segmental-pointed east window. Tower has quatrefoils in square recesses and drip moulds with large beast stops; angle gargoyles and C19 crocketed pinnacles; octagonal top stage has paired 2-light louvred bell-openings; tracery frieze, cornice with gargoyles and panelled parapet with crocketed pinnacles, mostly C19. North transept has deep plinth and shallow gabled roof, large diagonal buttresses with short pinnacles to ends; C14 entrance of 4 orders with ball flower and Tudor flower, 7-light north window and 4-light west window with Decorated tracery; 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery; 3-bay clerestory with 3-light windows between Perpendicular panelling; cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet. South transept has deep plinth and coped gable with cross, large offset angle buttresses; stepped triplet of lancets with narrow buttresses between lights and roundel to gable; C13 west lancet over low entrance. Nave has 5-bay clerestory with 3-light windows: details as to north transept; C13 shallow buttresses; west entrance of 3 orders, hood with stops; 4-light west window. 4-bay north aisle has three C14 three-light windows between gabled buttresses and blocked C13 entrance, missing shafts; cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet; west lancet. 4-bay south aisle has similar cornice and parapet; three C14 three-light windows; gabled buttress and C19 gabled porch with gabled buttresses; entrance of 3 orders with foliate capitals, niche above with nodding ogee canopy and statue of St Mary; 2-light straight-headed side windows; inner entrance of 2 orders with stiff-leaf capitals. INTERIOR: 5-bay chancel arcades on keeled quatrefoil columns; C19 arch-braced roofs; chancel south aisle has west arch with foliate capitals; restored double piscina. Crossing has rebuilt arches of 3 orders with transitional capitals; C19 ceiling beams with dog-tooth moulding. North transept has blind arcading with 4 diagonally set pinnacles to north wall; C19 roof; arch to east filled with organ. South transept has west arch with stiff-leaf capitals, 3 lights to wall passage above and canted inner angle to right; inner west lancet with passage between outer and inner windows. Nave has 5-bay arcades on piers with demi-shafts, with renewed Transitional capitals, C19 stenciling over arches; rich C15 roof with moulded elements and bosses; over east arch a blind arcade with 2 trefoil-headed lights and opening above; former roof lines visible. FITTINGS: chancel has Minton tiles; C19 stalls and rail; altar and riddel posts; tiled east wall; C19 timber sedilia; north aisle has C19 vestry partition to east and 1909 organ to west. North transept has C15 octagonal stoup. Nave has c1200 font on C19 base, quatrefoil form on plinth with lions and crouching figures, figures to re-entrant angles and inscription to rim and plinth; C19 pews with rich fleuron finials; C19 hexagonal pulpit on post, with cusped ogee panels; organ to west end of 1789-90, extended, 1909 and moved to present position, 1974. MONUMENTS: many C18 and C19 wall tablets, some floor slabs, including 2 iron plates to Ann Gollins, d.1791, and John Gollins, d.1805. North transept has ex-situ chest tomb to Sir Edward Aston, d.1568, and wife Joan, twisted colonnettes and figures to sides, 2 recumbent effigies, one damaged, and wall tablet with inscription and armorial bearing; large wall tablet in Gothick recess to Barbara Clifford, d.1786, and husband Thomas, d.1787, by JF More, tablet with sarcophagus above and obelisk with armorial bearing; a group of brass wall tablets to north wall. South transept has rich wall tablet to Humphrey Hodgetts, d.1730, with apron with cherubs and obelisk with armorial bearing above. North aisle has 1878 wall tablet to Izaak Walton, d.1683, in blocked entrance, with bust on ledge by RC Bett. STAINED GLASS: east window, 1844; north transept east window by CE Kempe; very good nave west window, 1850, by Gerente; north aisle west window, 1846, by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin; other C19 and C20 glass in north transept and south aisle.

A good example of a large parish church with important restoration/rebuilding work by Sir Gilbert Scott and many good memorials; the font is a notable example. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Nairn J: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: 240-3; Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade MW: A History of Stafford: London: 1979-: 242-5; Shell Guides: Henry Thorold: Staffordshire: London: 1978-: 152-3; Fisher MJ M.A. Rev: A Guide to St Mary's: Stafford).

Listing NGR: SJ9213823206

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Fisher, M J - Title: Guide to St Marys Stafford
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Thorold, H - Title: Staffordshire - Date: 1978 - Journal Title: Shell County Guides - Page References: 152-3
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Stafford - Date: 1979 - Page References: 242-5
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 240-3

National Grid Reference: SJ 92134 23190

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 09:15:56.