List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST FAITH

List entry Number: 1195311

Location

CHURCH OF ST FAITH, GAYTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorfolkKing's Lynn and West NorfolkDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384107

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KING'S LYNN

TF62SW GAYTON ROAD, Gaywood 610-1/1/282 (South side) 01/12/51 Church of St Faith

II*

Parish church. Norman origins, west tower c1370, when remainder rebuilt, transepts reworked late C16. Chancel re-roofed 1909, transepts restored, vestry and south chancel chapel added, by WD Caroe. 1923-26 nave rebuilt and aisles added. South-west nave chapel 1989. Brick with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roofs. 3-stage west tower, with diagonal stepped buttresses. Y-tracery west window. Slit lights to ringing chamber and cusped 2-light belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. Stair turret to south-east. North porch rebuilt in stone 1923-26 re-using Norman arch. One order of shafts with scalloped capitals. Inner arch with incised beakhead decoration, outer with chevron. Nailhead in hood mould. Inner doorway with double wave mouldings. Two 3-light panel tracery aisle windows. Gabled aisle roofs. Gabled transepts now engaged by aisles, with kneelers and 2-light Y-tracery north and south windows, the latter cusped and C14. North chancel with large vestry. South chancel with 1909 red-brick chapel terminating to east in a concave gable above a round-headed window with square hood. Remainder of chancel rendered. 2-light cusped C14 Y-tracery south window. 3-light reticulated east window, also cusped. INTERIOR. 4-bay arcade of 1923-26: lozenge piers and 4-centred arches. Barrel-vaulted timber nave roof. Chancel roof with arched braces to collars, 1909. West tower arch triple chamfered. Octagonal late C14 font, the stem with 2-light cinquefoiled tracery to each facet. Mouldings lead up to bowl with alternating facets of encircled tracery and C17 inscriptions. Two C17 painted panels in south aisle: one of Queen Elizabeth arriving in Tilbury with the Spanish Armada in the background experiencing difficulties at the hands of the English, the other of the discovery of the Gunpowder plot. Bequeathed by the rector, Thomas Hare, who died in 1634. (These not closely examined as covered at time of Review).

Listing NGR: TF6361520396

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 63615 20396

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 12:45:37.