List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NOS 2 AND 3 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GATE PIERS AND GATES

List entry Number: 1195064

Location

NOS 2 AND 3 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GATE PIERS AND GATES, 2 AND 3, BAY HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityIlminster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 383364

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ILMINSTER

ST3614 BAY HILL 1939-1/7/1 (North side) 23/09/50 Nos.2 AND 3 and attached railings, gate piers and gates

II*

Two lodges to Dillington House (qv). Early C19; probably c1837, when Sir James Pennethorne was responsible for extensive alterations to Dillington House. Ham Hill stone ashlar with flat lead roofs and stone stacks to rear walls. Each of hexagonal one-room plan. Gothic style. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. All windows have pointed arches, dripmoulds with circular stops, 2-lights with hollow-moulded Y-tracery to mullions, diamond leading with margin panes to lower part and interlaced leading to the tops. Similar dripmoulds over planked and studded doors, one to each lodge, which face each other across the drive; similar blind window above, with false painted leading, is flanked by windows on each side of the canted bay formed by the hexagon. String courses run at sill levels and below the moulded castellated parapet. INTERIORS: totally altered. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The rear of each lodge is built into the hillside and limestone rubble walls attached to the rear, up to first-floor level, cant in toward the gates and act as retaining wall. A low Ham Hill stone ashlar wall is attached to the inside front (north) of each lodge with coping that continues as the lower sill course, with plain railings. These are connected to octagonal piers with octagonal swept domed caps, and hold the closing catches of the side (pedestrian) gates. To the centre of the drive is a pair of very tall octagonal gate piers with rusticated shafts, dentilled cornices, stepped caps with large acorns to the top in octagonal cups. The gates are cast-iron Gothic-style; smaller, outer gates sweep up from the height of the smaller outer piers to their hinges on the tall inner ones. The upper rails of the main, double gates curve downwards toward the centre; the middle and lower rails are ornamented with bands of quatrefoils, set in squares. Attached to the front (south) of each lodge are railings of square section, with pointed tops; similar tops are fixed to the highest, horizontal rail between railings. These curve away from the drive, to east and west, and enclose acute triangular-shaped forecourts of approx 45m to the west and approx 30m to the east, each having a small working access gate.

Listing NGR: ST3654814579

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 36548 14579

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 01:06:22.