List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1194984

Location

38-42, PARLIAMENT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireLancasterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Mar-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 383252

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANCASTER

SD4862 PARLIAMENT STREET 1685-1/4/219 (East side) 22/12/53 Nos.38, 40 AND 42 (Formerly Listed as: PARLIAMENT STREET No.38) (Formerly Listed as: PARLIAMENT STREET No.40) (Formerly Listed as: PARLIAMENT STREET No.42)

GV II*

Toll house and inn, now vacant. c1787, altered C20. Built as toll house for Skerton Bridge (qv), which was built 1783-87. Designed by Thomas Harrison as part of his plan for the approach to the new bridge. Sandstone ashlar with squared coursed sandstone to the sides and slate roofs. Built on the axis of the bridge, to terminate the view towards the south when approaching Lancaster. Symmetrical, with taller 2-storey 3-bay centre linked by screen walls to 2-storey 3-bay pavilions with pedimented gables. All the front windows with glazing bar sashes behind temporary covers. The central block (No.40) has a plain ashlar lower storey, and the bays of the upper storey are separated by paired engaged Ionic columns carrying a plain frieze, dentilled cornice, and a blocking course. Above the central window is a blank tablet, and above the outer windows are blind rectangular recesses. The doorway has a pediment carried on plain console brackets and a door of 6 vertical panels below a horizontal glazed panel. The roof is hipped and has chimneys to left and right. The screen walls are each of 5 bays under a cornice and blocking course and have alternating round-headed and rectangular blind recesses. The pavilions have storey bands below the moulded pediments. Each has a blind recess in the centre of the 1st floor, and has a chimney on the front and rear gables. The return wall of each pavilion is of 3 bays (that nearest to the front blind) with a central single-storey ashlar porch which has a cornice and blocking course and has pilasters flanking the doorway. At the rear the central block has a tall stair window and is connected to No.38 (to the south) by a single-storey late C20 restaurant extension. INTERIOR: a stair with stick balusters is visible through the window of the central block.

Listing NGR: SD4805662279

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 48056 62279

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 06:40:23.