List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BELLMOUNT TOWER

List entry Number: 1194859

Location

BELLMOUNT TOWER, BELTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBelton and Manthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382849

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK93NW BELTON PARK, Belton 1315-0/4/109 (East side) 21/09/79 Bellmount Tower (Formerly Listed as: BELTON PARK, Belton Bellmount Tower at E end of Bellmount Avenue) II*

Viewing tower in the form of a tall arch. Mid C18, remodelled c1780, damaged by fire 1841, restored c1989. By Samuel Smith and the mason William Grey. Coursed squared stone, partly rendered, with hipped slate roof topped with a turned wooden balustrade. Wide coved eaves. 2 stages. Tall round headed archway with keystone and impost bands. Under the arch, a rebated round headed doorway on either side. The upper stage has a Venetian window with bracket keystones to the sidelights. Above it, 2 small round windows. At the rear, similar fenestration with a blank Venetian window. On either side, a stepped brick buttress, that to the right with stair lights in the angle. The building formerly had wings, which were removed c1780, on the advice of Philip Yorke. One of several estate buildings commissioned by Sir John Brownlow, Viscount Tyrconnel, of Belton House, between 1702 and 1754. This building appears within Belton Park which is on the Gardens Register at grade I. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139; Marsden J & Barber A: Belton House: London: 1985-1987: 42-43).

Listing NGR: SK9489838814

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Marsden, J and Barber, A - Title: Belton House - Date: 1985-1987 - Page References: 42-43
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 27 Lincolnshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 139

National Grid Reference: SK 94898 38814

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 03:23:37.