List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST WING TO BELTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1194857

Location

WEST WING TO BELTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL, BELTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBelton and Manthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382845

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9239 BELTON PARK, Belton 1315-0/8/72 (North West side) 19/02/52 West wing to Belton House and attached boundary wall (Formerly Listed as: BELTON PARK, Belton Belton House)

GV II*

Service wing to Belton House, forming the west and north sides of the West Court, and attached boundary wall. West range 1685-1688, by William Stanton, Master Mason, for Sir John Brownlow; north range late C19, for the third Earl Brownlow, incorporating a C17 doorcase. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with hipped Westmorland slate roofs, that to the west range topped with an octagonal wooden cupola with clock dial, round arched openings, leaded ogee dome and finial. 2 large coped ashlar ridge stacks, 2 similar side wall stacks and 4 smaller rear wall stacks. Plinth, flush quoins, modillion eaves. 2 storeys plus attics; 8 x 7 bays. Windows are mainly 2-light casements, with moulded surrounds, mullions and keystones. West range, half-H plan, has a moulded elliptical carriage arch with imposts and moulded keystone, and a pair of panelled wooden gates. To right, 3 windows on each floor. To left, 4 windows, and below, 3 windows, then a 6-panel door with overlight with similar surround to the windows. Above, 5 box dormers. Rear has 4 dormers. Rear wings have regular fenestration with 5 windows on each floor, and 4 dormers. North range has a shaped round arched central gable and a moulded round arched doorway with broken segmental pediment, flanked by smaller round arched niches. The door has been replaced by a larger niche. All the niches contain figures. Beyond, on either side, 3 windows, and above, 4 dormers. Below, on either side, 2 windows, then a door. Attached to the south west rear wing, a boundary wall enclosing a rectangular service yard, approx 70 x 30M. Coursed squared stone with slab coping and ashlar corner piers with ball finials. 2 doorways on the north side. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139).

Listing NGR: SK9292839310

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 139
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,

National Grid Reference: SK 92928 39310

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 02:25:55.