List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOLA EUROPAEA

List entry Number: 1194452

Location

SCHOLA EUROPAEA, ABINGDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityCulham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248816

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD SU59NW (North side) 2/31 Schola Europaea

_ II



Teachers' Training College, now multi-lingual school. c.1852 by Joseph Clarke, with C20 additions and alterations. Squared coursed stone; old plain-tile complex roof; various stone lateral and ridge stacks. Lead and copper lantern on ridge to left of centre. U-shaped courtyard plan with attached chapel; later additions closing courtyard. High Victorian Gothic style. 2 storeys and attic; 24-window range. Glazed C20 double doors to 2-centre arched doorway to right of centre. Complex fenestration: mostly stone mullion and transom windows to ground floor; trefoil lancets to first floor; gabled dormers to roof. Chapel attached by covered cloister to right: 4 bays with extension and internal re-arrangement c.1960 by Seely and Paget. Early English style. Plate tracery windows. Interior: several stone dog-leg staircases with wrought iron balusters and moulded wood handrails. Some C19 fireplaces. C20 extensions and additions to rear are not of special architectural interest. History: founded as the Diocesan Training college for Schoolmasters. Foundation stone laid on the 28th October 1851 by Bishop Wilberforce. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.566; V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.7, 1962; p.38-9).

Listing NGR: SU5146595454

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 566
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 38-9

National Grid Reference: SU 51465 95454

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:44:43.