List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1193968

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, SOUTH ROAD SE23

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLewishamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203407

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

SOUTH ROAD SE23 1. 4424 Christ Church

TQ 3572 30/237

C

the Grade shall be amended to Grade II and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Church, begun 1852 and built in three stages. Designed by Ewan Christian in the revived Decorated style. Nave, chancel and south aisle 1852-4. North aisles and vestry completed 1862. West tower and spire completed 1885. Kentish Ragstone with Bath stone dressings. Clay tile roof Plan: west tower and spire, nave of five bays with clerestory, aisles and south porch; chancel with south porch, north vestry and organ chamber. EXTERIOR: Tower divided externally into four stages. Angle buttresses at the corners above a moulded plinth which reach up to the tower. West doorway: moulded arch and plate tracery. West window of3 lights with trefoiled heads to the main lights and a tracery circle containing 3 trefoils. Tower: Pairs of two-light openings at Belfry stage with trefoiled heads, and tracery quatrefoils in each face, the hoods linked by carved foliate stops. Recessed timber louvres. Corbel table above from which broach spire rises. Four octagonal pinnacles at each corner; tall, narrow lucarnes on principal faces of the spire. Aisles have 3-light windows in their west walls. The bays of the aisles are marked by low buttresses and have alternate 2- and 3- light windows. Clerestory windows: each of 3 equal lights with a quatrefoil above each within a rectangular surround. Chancel:lower than nave. Large 5-light east window with 4 equal lights and taller central light. Circles containing trefoils above side pair of lights, larger circle containing five trefoils above middle light. South chapel of one bay, with 2-light window and arched doorway in south wall; 3-light window in east wall. North vestry, 3-light east window. INTERIOR. The two westernmost bays of nave have had rooms inserted in 1970 by Laurence King. Remaining arcades have chamfered arches carried on alternate octagonal and round pillars with carved capitals. Arch braced wooden roof with carved corbels. Floor: stone paviours with red and black tiles at the east end of the nave. Chancel: raised 2 steps above level of nave and paved. Chancel divided by chamfered arches from south chapel and north organ chamber. Bare walls following re-ordering of 1970. Fittings: no reredos or lectern; pulpit 1903; original font on square base with circular oak cover at west end. Stained glass: east window - 3-lights depicting The Crucifixion, flanked by Christ and Mary Magdalene in the Garden and Supper at Emmaus, probably by Henry Holiday 1883; other glass - by Powell in the south chapel, and in the north aisle by Comper, 1936.

------------------------------------

SOUTH ROAD SE23 1. 4424 Christ Church

TQ 1572 30/237

C

2. Large church by Ewan Christian 1852-4. North aisle and vestry 1862. Random rubble with freestone dressings. West tower and spire 1885 of coursed rubble. Nave, aisles, chancel, chancel aisles (the South one shorter) South porch and West tower with half-octagonal staircase turret on North side. Early C14 style. 5-bay nave with alternating round and octagonal piers with leafy capitals. Arch braced wood roof on leafy corbels. Sanctuary panelling, reredos and stalls 1897. Some stained glass by Powell and comper.

Listing NGR: TQ3575072819

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 35750 72819

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:56:51.