List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1193919

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthoritySouth Stoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248028

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH STOKE THE STREET SU5983 10/144 (East side) 09/02/59 Church of St. Andrew GV II*

Church. C13, with C14 alterations; south aisle widened and arcade rebuit in restoration of c.1857 by J.B. Clancy; south porch possibly by Charles Buckeridge, c.1869. Flint and stone with stone dressings to tower; colourwashed flint and stone with stone dressings to nave; roughcast, probably on flint and stone to chancel; knapped flint with stone dressings to south porch; recent plain-tile roof; roof to tower not visible. Aisled 3-bay nave, chancel and west tower. C19 porch to left of centre of south aisle with 2-centred archway with hood mould and C19 double wood gates. Trefoil openings to sides. Internal segmental arcade to sides. 2-centred arched doorway with hood mould and carved end stops. C19 studded door. 2-light stone window with Perpendicular tracery with flat head and hood mould. Triple-lancet window to right of centre with flat head and hood mould. 2-light Y-tracery window to right. Lancet to right return of south aisle. Chancel: 2-centred arched doorway with C19 plank door to centre. 2-light window with Reticulated tracery to left, 2-light window with Y-tracery to right. 3-light east window with Reticulated tracery. Rear of chancel; 2 lancets. Lancet to left return of north aisle, 2-centred arched moulded doorway to centre of north aisle with C19 plank door with wrought-iron hinges. 2-light windows with Reticulated tracery to left and right. Lancet to right return of north aisle. Tower: square with angle buttresses. 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery to west side. Rectangular window to each side, except to east. 2-light louvred openings of Perpendicular tracery to each side of tower. Battlemented parapet. Interior: piscina to right of chancel. C19 stained glass end good series of C17 and C18 wall monuments to chancel. C14 Early English 2-centred chancel arch on cluster columns, hood mould with foliate ends to nave side. C14 canopied image niches supported by brackets on carved heads to north and south aisles. Fragmentary painted inscription to north aisle. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.773-4).

Listing NGR: SU5989783589

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 773-4

National Grid Reference: SU 59897 83589

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 05:53:28.