List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EAGLE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1193286

Location

EAGLE HOUSE, HIGH STREET SW19

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityMertonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205073

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON HIGH ST, Wimbledon, SW19 TQ 2371 (north side) 5/62 Eagle House 1.6.49 GV II*

Substantial house. 1613, built for Robert Bell. Restored in 1887 by T G Jackson. Brick, now mostly stuccoed. Tiled pitched roof to parapet. 3 storeys plus basement. 3 bays. Central entrance with depressed arch. Stone mullioned windows to basement. Canted bays to either side to basement, ground and first floors with exposed C17 brick between storeys, timber mullions and transoms, leaded lights. Corbelled canted oriel above central entrance, wider, having 4 rather than 3-lights to front. Moulded stucco bands between storeys. Square headed 3-light timber mullioned and transomed windows to second floor. Each bay with shaped gable. Rows of tall moulded polygonal chimneys between bays. Rear and return elevations similar. C18 extensions to left. Interior has ground floor hall running from front to rear in centre of house. 3 original plaster ceilings on first floor. Panelling to former dining room 1730; hall overmantle; other C18 features. Owned and restored by the architect Sir T G Jackson.

Listing NGR: TQ2387971169

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 23879 71169

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 05:14:07.