List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1193248

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireCherwellDistrict AuthorityStoke Lyne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243702

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE LYNE CHURCH LANE SP5628 (West side) 19/109 Church of St. Peter 07/12/66

GV II*

Church. C12 chancel and nave. North aisle early C13. South tower early C14. Major restoration by H. Woodyer in 1868. Squared coursed limestone and coursed limestone rubble. Steeply pitched stone slate roofs laid to diminishing courses and stone coped gables. Chancel, nave, south tower, south porch, north aisle, north vestry. 5-window range. Chancel has a restored triplet of C12 windows and a Geometrical window above. On south side of chancel a C12 priest's doorway flanked by lancets and a C12 window. Nave has two C12 windows on north and a blocked C12 doorway. West end has a 4-light restored window with plate tracery and a C12 window. Lancet window to left of porch on south. Tower of 2 stages has a 3-light reticulated window on south and louvred round-arched windows to bell-turret. Diagonal buttresses, string courses and crenellated parapet. Pyramidal roof with lightning conductor. C19 south porch. C12 south doorway has a roll hoodmould with animal headstops and an arch decorated with zig-zag. Above a niche with round arched head and small C12 figure probably of St. Peter. Chancel has a C19 stone corbel table. Interior. C19 roofs. Late C12 chancel arch with hood mould with nailhead chamfer and 2 moulded orders carried on responds with scalloped capitals. Chancel rebuilt in 1868 re-using the original window openings, except for the rose window which is new and the 3 east lancets, copies of the originals. West window of 1868. Brass to Edward Love, d.1557 and wife Alice, d.1535. Chest tomb to William Holt, d.1582 and wife Katherine. Brasses over it. Wall monument to Susannah Holt, d.1704. Stained glass given by Lady Peyton in 1873. Medieval font. C19 pews. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p789; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, pp322-3)

Listing NGR: SP5665228337

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 789
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 322-3

National Grid Reference: SP 56652 28337

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 08:04:46.