List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1193229

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, A329

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityNewington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248275

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWINGTON A329 5U6096 (West side) 15/38 Church of St. Giles 18/07/63

GV I

Church. C12, c.1200, C13 and C14. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain-tile roof. Nave, chancel, north transept, west tower and spire, and south porch. The 2-bay chancel retains, to north, a lancet of c.1200 and a small arched doorway, but the south wall is early C14 and has two 2-light windows with geometrical tracery. The 3-light east window is late C14 early-Perpendicular style and there is a square-headed 2-light C15 window inserted in the north wall. The south wall of the C12 nave has, to east, a rebuilt section across the former transept containing a plain 3-light C17 stone-mullioned window. Traces of former crossing piers remain. Further west is a 2-light Decorated window. The C12 south door, under a deep hood mould with lozenge decoration and containing an old plank door with the remains of crescent hinges, is sheltered by a C19 timber-framed porch. To west of it are a square-headed C15 window set in a C12 opening (visible internally) and a matching C19 window. The north wall of the nave is blind except for a late C12 doorway with an old plank door and a moulded outer arch supported on detached shafts with flat-leaf capitals. The western angles of the nave retain C12 roll mouldings. The late C13 north transept has a cusped lancet and a small 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery. The late C13 3-stage tower has a cusped lancet, to west, 2-light belfry openings with plain Y-tracery and a rendered octagonal broach spire rising from within a plain parapet. To west are 2 massive C15 buttresses. Interior: the chancel has, to south, a C15 piscina and a richly-moulded arched tomb recess of c,1300 with pierced cusping. The 7-centred coupled-rafter roof is probably C14. The black and white marble floor may be C17. The C14 chancel arch contains a simple C15 screen. The canted roofs of nave and transept are covered with C19 boarded panelling. The transept arch of c.1200, of 2 unchamfered orders, seems to represent an ambitious scheme to provide for nave aisles. Beyond the late C13 tower arch is an ancient stair with solid triangular treads. C12 tub front; plain C17 panelled pulpit. Fine early C15 glass in north window of chancel, including 2 donor figures, and fragments in 2 other windows. Memorials include an elaborate wall monument of 1650 to Walter Dunch containing 2 shrouded wreathed marble half figures framed by black marble Tuscan columns supporting a broken segmental pediment containing an armorial cartouche. A standing white-marble monument to Sir Henry Dunch (died 1686) is topped by a large urn. There are also many C18 wall tablets to the White family, and many C17 and C18 ledgers. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.715-6).

Listing NGR: SU6087996528

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 715-6

National Grid Reference: SU 60878 96527

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 05:23:04.