List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1193189

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LEE TERRACE SE3

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLewishamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203329

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

LEE TERRACE SE3 1. 4424 (South side) Church of St Margaret

TQ 3975 15/L6 30.8.54

B

the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II*(star).

------------------------------------

LEE TERRACE SE3 1. 4424 (South Side) Church of St Margaret

TQ 3975 15/L6 30.8.54.

B 2. 1839-41 by John Brown of Norwich, replacing a Church on the site by Joseph Gwilt, 1813-14, which collapsed. Only the bottom of the tower of the older structure remains. Church restored and enlarged by James Brooks 1876, who added chancel and aisles, porches, and new roof. Nave, aisles, West tower, North and South porches, chancel and aisles. C13 style. Paired lancet windows with nook shafts and hoodmoulds. Corbelled cornice and parapet with tall octagonal pinnacles. Square tower has tall lower stage, clock faces under gables above, octagonal bell drum with cusped lancets under crocketed hoods; and plain spire above. Roman cement with freestone dressings and spire. Inside 5-bay nave and aisles of almost equal width, tall arcades, wood rib vaults. Wrought iron screens to chancel and chancel aisles. Marble lined sanctuary and Lady Chapel. 2 small Cl6 brasses with female figures.



Listing NGR: TQ3909275658

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 39092 75658

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:41:35.