List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1193096

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHarrowLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-May-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202012

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH ROAD 1. 5016 Stanmore Church of St John TQ 1692 SE 8/9

II* GV

2. Begun 1849 in Decorated Gothic style by Henry Clutton (the surveyor, b.1814). Graded for monuments transferred from Old Church, including those to John Burnell (d.1605), John Dalton (d.1785), Sir John Wolstenholme (d.1699) under canopied monument in tower, Sir John Wolstenholme (d.1634; effigy by Nicholas Stone), John Wolstenholme (d.1669), John Dalton (by Bacon 1791), Elizabeth Dalton (d.1812) and First Earl of Aberdeen (by Boehm, 1875). Font also transferred (by Nicholas Stone circa 1632). Numerous other C18 and early C19 wall monuments in tower. South aisle has 2-light stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones, 1885. Five-light East window, by Thomas Willement circa 1849 (artist in stained glass to Queen Victoria). North aisle: centre 2-lights circa 1896 in the style of C E Kempe, possibly by Burlison and Grylls.

Listing NGR: TQ1671992164

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 16719 92164

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:37:43.