List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1192788

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RotherhamMetropolitan AuthorityWentworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335572

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK39NE WENTWORTH CHURCH DRIVE (south side)

4/64 Church of the Holy Trinity 29.3.68 GV II*

Church. Built 1872-76, consecrated 1877. By J. L. Pearson for the children of Charles William, 5th Earl Fitzwilliam and his wife Mary in memory of their parents. Thinly-coursed and snecked sandstone, ashlar dressings, tile roof. Cruciform plan orientated north-west/ south-east (ritual orientation used here). 4½-bay aisled nave with north porch; crossing tower with spire; 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Gothic revival: late C13 style, geometrical tracery. Plinth, moulded band and string course run round building rising with ground to south. Offset buttresses between bays and at angles. Hoodmoulds with delicate stops. Gable copings with crosses. Nave: north porch approached by steps within ashlar wing walls; iron gate; tripartite responds to moulded arches with dog-tooth ornament; foiled side-wall openings; rib-vaulted roof. Aisle bays to left each have two 2-light windows. Small turret to right in angle with porch. Clerestorey: pilaster buttresses, 3-light windows, carved eaves band. Transepts: lower, each with 6-light window and small rose window to gable. Tower: two 2-light gallery windows flank abutting transept roofs. Clock and offset band beneath coupled, 2-light, louvred belfry openings. String course with corner gargoyles beneath embattled parapet. Recessed broach spire with lucarnes and weathervane. Cylindrical stair-turret to south-east corner with arcaded panel beneath conical cap. Chancel: single-storey north vestry with 2, square-headed, 3-light windows; priest's door to right. 3-light windows to chancel; east window of 5 lights beneath rose window.

Interior: Nave:4-bay arcades with compound piers and moulded arches. Attached columns rise from arcade capitals to springing of vault ribs. Clerestorey windows flanked by blind windows all within arched recess. Crossing: arches with dog-tooth ornament; gallery with 2 twin arches to each side; octopartite vault. Exposed stone rib-vaulting throughout. Dedication of church carved in bold letters at west end beneath stained- glass window by C. E. Kempe. Decorative frieze beneath clerestorey. Chancel has marble steps and paving. East window, 1888, by Clayton and Bell. Fitzwilliam brasses beneath south transept window.

A. P. Quiney, 'Wentworth Churches', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980, p396.

Listing NGR: SK3838798141

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 137, (1980), 396

National Grid Reference: SK 38387 98141

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 03:11:58.