List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1192679

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityGreatworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234009

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP5542 GREATWORTH CHURCH ROAD

10/109 Church of St. Peter

GV II*

Parish Church. C13, C14 and C17, restored C19. Squared coursed limestone with ironstone dressings. Chancel, nave, west tower. Chancel, east window is C13 triple lancet with hood and head stops. Priest's doorway in south wall flanked by 2 plain C13 lancets. 2 similar windows (renewed) in north wall. Nave has two C17 windows in north and south walls, each of 2 arched lights, the heads probably altered in C19. South doorway C17 with flat arched head and ribbed plank door. South porch C19. West tower C14, of 3 stages with crenellated parapet. Bell openings of 2-lights with flowing tracery, except that on east, with a trefoiled lancet. Similar window in south wall on ground stage. C14 west doorway with continuous mouldings. Interior: Chancel arch rebuilt 1882 by H.R. Gough. Tower arch C14 of 3 continuous chamfered orders and hood with head stops. Early C17 polygonal panelled pulpit. Wall monument to Sir William Pargiter, 1678 stone. Inscription framed by draperies, cherubs heads and cartouche with coat of arms. Elianor Howe, died 1696, marble inscription plaque on gadrooned console with cherubs heads surmounted by urn. Charles Howe, 1741, marble rococo cartouche with scrolls, foliage and skull.

Listing NGR: SP5523642382

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 55236 42382

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 11:33:06.