List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1192313

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireCorbyDistrict AuthorityEast Carlton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 229824

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST CARLTON CHURCH LANE SP8389 (West side) 14/41 Church of St. Peter 25/02/57

GV I

Church. Rebuilt 1788 by John Wing. Limestone and ironstone ashlar with lead roof. T-shape plan comprising nave, chancel with transepts and west tower in Gothick style. South chancel transept has 4-light south window with trefoils and quatrefoil. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet and quatrefoil frieze. East elevation has central 4-light windows with quatrefoils and trefoils and 2 flanking 3-light windows with quatrefoil, trefoil and lozenges. Centre bay breaks forward slightly with a shallow gabled roof. Ashlar parapet with quatrefoil frieze. North chancel transept is similar to the south. Six-panel Gothic style door in west return wall has moulded stone surround and arch head. Tablet above has inscription "This church rebuilt was finished A.D. 1788". South elevation of nave of 3-window range of 3-light windows with quatrefoils. 2 stage buttresses between windows. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet and quatrefoil frieze. North elevation of nave is similar to south. West tower of 4 stages with 4-stage angle buttresses to corners. Gothick style west door with pointed arch head and moulded stone surround. Cusped lunettes to north and south face of first stage. 2-light north, south and west windows in second stage. Cusped roundels in third stage and 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of fourth stage. Quatrefoil frieze with plain parapet above having short pinnacles at mid point and tall pinnacles at corners. Interior: pointed and moulded chancel arch has fluted capitals. Similar arches to chancel transepts and blank tower arch with pointed arch door opening with Gothick style doors. Small roundel above. Plastered ceiling is supported on trusses with exposed tie beams with open quatrefoils in the spandrels. C18 box pews and two-decker pulpit. C18 communion rail with attenuated balusters. Monuments: south transept: south wall, Sir Geoffry Palmer died 1673 and Lady Palmer; 2 upright shrouded alabaster figures in a black marble arched reredos with open doors with segmental pediment and armorial device over. Inscription on open doors; attributed to Joshua Marshall. Geoffry Palmer died 1661, south east corner, black inscribed tablet with segmental pediment and flaming urn. Sir Thomas Palmer and wife, C18 tablet on south wall surmounted by flaming urn. Geoffrey Palmer, died 1720 and wife, marble tablet on east wall with pilasters, urns and armorial device. Geoffry Palmer, black inscribed tablet to left with armorial device flanked by skulls. Charlotte Palmer, west wall, tablet with urn drapes and angel above. Sir John Palmer died 1817 and wife, tablet with draped urn above. Various other C19 and C20 tablets to Palmer family. Inscribed floor tablets; earliest is 1583 to Jeffrey Palmer, C17 and C18 tablets to south and east wall of chancel. 6 hatchments in south transept. C18 armorial glass in east window of south transept. C19 stained glass east window, south window of south transept and 2 south windows of nave. Gothic style font. (Buildings of England: p.496).



Listing NGR: SP8313689329

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 496

National Grid Reference: SP 83136 89329

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 09:51:04.