List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1192206

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, BERRISTER PLACE
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityRaunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232404

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAUNDS BERRISTER PLACE TL07NW (North side) 6/103 Church of St. Peter 26/04/50 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Peter) GV I

Church. C12, C13 and C14, some C19 restoration. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and ashlar west tower and spire. Lead roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of one-window range with 3-light Perpendicular window under 4-centred arch head with transoms and cusping. Chancel has clerestory and shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapets. Fine 6-light east window of c.1275, restored c.1900 has large roundel with cusping and 6 quatrefoil circles. Flanking gabled buttresses. North elevation of chancel is of 3 bays. 2-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred heads, with transom and cusping. Irregularly spaced 2- and 3-stage buttresses between bays. South aisle and south chancel of 9 bays, 7-window range. Four 3-light early Perpendicular windows to nave aisle and two 3-light Perpendicular south chapel windows under 4-centred arch heads. Several windows have carved label stops. Central 2-light square-head window has Transitional south door to right with stepped arch and one order of shafts. 2-stave buttresses between bays. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light Perpendicular east window with segmental head, transoms and cusping. 3-light west window has ogee head. 2-storey porch to left of nave range has triple chamfered outer arch with 3 orders of renewed shafts. 2-light window above. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet with sundial and finial. Double stepped and chamfered inner door has one order of shafts. Moulded ceiling beams. North aisle of 7 bays, 6-window range of 6-light windows with flowing tracery. Double chamfered and stepped north door, with one order of shafts, in bay to right of centre. 2 stage buttresses between bays and ashlar parapets with 2 gargoyles. 3-light east and 4-light west window. Nave clerestory of 7-window range of 2-light Perpendicular windows. Shallow gabled roof with shallow castellated parapet and finial. Chancel clerestory of 4-window range, to south side only, is of 2-light square-head windows. Fine Early English west tower of 4 stages with 4-stage set back angle buttresses. Nest portal has roll moulded outer arch with cluster shafts and similar slight recesses inner arch. Small blank trefoil-head arches to left and right. Second stage of west face is a 4-bay arcade of single and double chamfered arches with cluster shafts. Lancets in centre 2 bays with roll mouldings. Outer arcades are blank with trefoil heads and central quatrefoil windows. The second stage of the north and south faces are taller than the west face and have 4 bays of blank arcading with double chamfered arches, cluster piers and trefoils in the spandrels. The north face has. corbelled Y-tracery with carved figures at the apex of each arch and musicians in each spandrel. The third stage of the west face has a central gable with flanking diagonals forming a W shape, and 2-light trefoil-head window with shafts. 2 blind quatrefoils flanking at the lower level and 2 similar at the upper level. North and south faces of third stage of 5 bays of blank arcades with shafts with a central 2-light window. Similar east face. Each face of fourth stage has pairs of double lancet bell-chamber openings with double chamfered heads, enclosing outer arch and shafts. Blank arch to left and right on each face. Corbel table and broach spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes, each with Y-tracery. Interior: C13 five-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches with octagonal piers. The 2 arcades are probably of slightly different builds. South arcade has half arch at abutment with chancel and second pier from chancel is formed of 2 octagonal responds, probably corresponding with the transept of the C12 church. Evidence of C12 window head above south arcade. Chancel arch with hollow chamfer and 2 rows of ball flowers. Triple chamfered tower arch with shafts has C15 stone clock dial in apex. Inner arch below clock dial links with belfry rib vault which has a central octagonal opening. 2 and 2 half-bays of chamfered arches between chancel and south aisle have circular piers. Original moulded tie beams and corbels to aisle roofs. 2 piscinas and single sedilia, with crocketted gable, to right of altar. Piscina with trefoil head in former south chapel, now vestry. C13 circular font with rams head attached to bowl. Base of Perpendicular chancel screen and reset fragments of screen in chancel arcades. Reredos with flowing tracery to north aisle altar. C18 polygonal table was formerly the tester of the pulpit. Brass chandelier given in 1762. Monuments: brasses to John Tawyer died 1470 and wife, also Lady c.1500 both to right of chancel altar and slab with brass indents to left. John Wales, vicar, died 1496 is a chest tomb with trefoil head panels and no effigy. Coffin lid with foliated cross in south aisle. 3 C19 marble tablets to north wall of chancel. Wall painting: C15, nave, north wall: pride and her 6 children, St. Christopher, 3 quick and 3 dead, over north doorway St. George; north aisle wall fragments of legend of St. Catherine. Chancel arch, angels with instruments of the passion. Stained glass: east window by Kempe 1907. 2 C20 windows in north aisle and one in south aisle with reset fragments of medieval glass in the apex. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.381; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.4, p.29).

Listing NGR: TL0004073087

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1937 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 29
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 381

National Grid Reference: TL 00040 73087

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 06:10:09.