List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLES ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST OF DRAYTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1192040

Location

STABLES ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST OF DRAYTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityLowick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP97NE LOWICK DRAYTON PARK

6/67 Stables attached to SW of 23/05/67 Drayton House (Formerly listed as Drayton House)

GV II*

Stables. Mid/late C17, probably by Isaac Rowe for second Earl of Peterborough. Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with Collyweston slate roof. Rectangular plan. Single storey with hayloft/attic over. Main range is of 9 bays. Centre bay breaks forward slightly and has carriage arch with rusticated surround. Rusticated quoins and triangular pediment over. 4-window range, flanking either side, of tall casement openings. Rusticated quoins at far corners. Gabled roof dormers. 4 bays attached to left are blank with a castellated parapet. Ashlar gable parapets and stone stack at end. Wall attached to right links with Drayton House (q.v.). Rear elevation has central square head carriage arch with rusticated quoins. Flanking ranges of 8 lunettes with ashlar surrounds. Plank doors to far left and right. Interior not inspected. Forming part of west side of south forecourt of Drayton House (q.v.). (Gardens are included in HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens at grade I. Cornforth, J, Country Life, 20th May, 1965, p.1216; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.189; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.231; Jackson-Stops G, Drayton House),

Listing NGR: SP9636079957

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Jackson Stops, G - Title: Drayton House - Date: 1978
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 20 May - Date: 1965 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 30 Northamptonshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 189
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1930 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 231

National Grid Reference: SP 96360 79957

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 08:59:49.