List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND CHEST TOMB ATTACHED TO NORTH AISLE

List entry Number: 1191820

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND CHEST TOMB ATTACHED TO NORTH AISLE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityHargrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232320

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARGRAVE CHURCH STREET TL0370 (South side) 15/21 Church of All Saints and 23/05/67 chest tomb attached to north aisle (Formerly listed as Church of All Saints) GV II*

Shown as All Hallows Church on Ordnance Survey map. Church. Late C12 to mid C13 and C14, tower rebuilt and church restored 1868-70. Regular coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and spire and C19 plain tile and lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north transept, west tower and south porch. South elevation of south aisle of 2-window range of 2-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads and hollow surrounds. Blocked square-head low-side window below left window. Chamfered and stepped south doorway, now blocked, has one order of shafts. Steeply gabled roof with C19 ashlar gable parapets and finial. C19. Three-light east window has trefoil above. Flanking, 2-stage, clasping buttresses. North elevation of chancel of one-window range with 2-light Perpendicular window, restored C19. C19 lean-to vestry attached to north of chancel has 2 lancet windows and small doorway. South aisle of 4 bays; 3-window range with 2-light window with heavy Y-tracery to left. 3-light plain Perpendicular window to centre and C19 three-light square-head window to right. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. Single lancet to east elevation. C19 gabled porch with chamfered and moulded outer arch. Upper part of return walls formed of four 2-light openings, with wood mullions and trefoil heads. Late C12 inner door has chevron, nail head and half nail head decoration with 5 orders of shafts. The inner shaft is shorter and recessed. Inscription inside porch to William Baker, died 1865, for 47 years rector of Hargrave. North aisle of 2-window range with 2-light square-head window to left, restored C19 and 3-light Perpendicular window to right. Double chamfered and stepped north doorway between windows has one order of shafts. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapet to right. North transept abuts east end of north aisle and has 3-light Perpendicular north window with cusping and 4-centred arch head. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 4 C19 quatrefoil circles. Chamfered stone cornice and steeply pitched roof with C19 ashlar gable parapets and finial. West tower of 3 stages with 2-stage angle buttresses to lower stage. Tall west lancet in lower stage. Trefoil to west face of second stage. 2-light bell chamber openings to each face of upper stage have Y-tracery and central octagonal shafts. Corbel table and broach spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes. Circular stair turret with conical stone roof is attached to south east corner of lower 2 stages. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches with 2 octagonal piers to east and one circular pier to west; octagonal responds. Double chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds and tall, double chamfered tower arch with bracketed responds. Double chamfered arch at eastern intersection of north aisle and transept. C19 roof structures. Moulded beams to helfry ceiling. Arch-head recess in north wall of chancel. Squint between transept and chancel has trefoil-head niche below. Shallow recess with segmental head in east wall of transept. Font with octagonal band and 2 carved heads is set on re-used rectangular plinth. Perpendicular screen restored and repainted C19. Pews have Perpendicular tracery to ends and fronts, some with linenfoid panelling; some C19 reproductions in aisles. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass in north aisle. South-east window and south aisle south-west window, C19 east window. Fragment of incised stone in north transept window sill. Hatchment over north door. Remains of medieval wall painting depicting St. Christopher to north wall of nave. Early wooden almsbox on chamfered column. Stone coffin with lid, attached to exterior of north aisle, is on C19 plinth with inscription and was erected there by Rev. R.S. Baker and J.W. Rawson Ackroyd, 1893. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.246).

Listing NGR: TL0365970638

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 246

National Grid Reference: TL 03659 70638

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 07:23:10.