List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1191175

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityTansor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232697

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TANSOR MAIN STREET TL09SE (South side) 6/141 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) GV II*

Church. Late C11, mid and late C12, early and mid C13 and early C14, restored 1886. Squared coursed limestone with lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north and south porches and west tower. South elevation of chancel is of 2-window range with single lancet to left and 2-light window, with carved label stops, to right. Single-stage ashlar buttress at corner. Steeply gabled roof with Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapet with finial. 3-light, Perpendicular, east window, with panel tracery, is flanked by single-stage buttresses. North elevation of chancel is a 2-window range similar to the south elevation. Corbelled and chamfered stringcourse above window heads and rendered panel between windows. South aisle of 5 bays; 4-window range. Two early C14, long, 3-light windows, to right, have roll moulded surrounds and cusping to heads of outer lights. Double lancet window, to left of centre, and single lancet to far left. 2-stage ashlar buttress to right corner and shallow corner buttress to left. 3-light east window, similar to adjacent south windows and small low lancet in west wall. C19 gabled porch projects from bay to left of centre. Roll moulded and chamfered outer doorway. Transitional inner doorway has one order of shafts and nailhead decoration. North aisle of 6 bays; 5-window range. Small single lancet to far left and 2-light square-head window adjacent. 2 lancets to centre and a 2-light window, restored C19, to far right. String course below window rises beneath sill of square-head window. 2-stage clasping buttress to left corner and gabled clasping buttress to right corner. 2-light east window has plate tracery. West elevation has small quatrefoil light. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. C19 gabled porch, projects from bay to right of centre, and is similar to south porch. Late C12 inner doorway has 2 orders of shafts with stiff leaf capitals and zig-zag decoration to arch. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square-head windows; those on the south side have no tracery. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets and finial. Nest tower incorporates Cll, C12 and C13 work. 5 stages with plinth . The middle 2 stages are not deliniated on the north and south faces. Small single-light window with crude arch head in second stage of north face. Similar, squared-head, light to south face. Single-light, arch-head, window to west face of third stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings, with central shaft, to each face of upper stage are set in semi-circular arch-head recesses. Plain ashlar parapet above. Large 4-stage buttress abutting west wall of south aisle has stair turret in angle with the tower. 2 small lancet windows. Similar, irregular, 3-stage buttress abutts west wall of north aisle. Interior: 5-bay nave arcade on south side and 6-bay on north side. 2 bays on south side and 3 bays on north side are C12. Semi-circular, double-stepped, arches with circular piers, square abaci and scalloping. The underside of these arches has C19 painted leaf and scroll decoration. Other bays have double-chamfered pointed arches with circular piers, one has nailhead decoration to the capital. Semi-circular responds are all similar with square abaci. The eastern arch of the north arcade is partially blocked, to form a vestry, and has a doorway with 2-centred-arch head with nailhead decoration. C19 wooden chancel arch with open traceried spandrels. Original C12 tower arch is similar to the Western arcades of the nave. C13 double chamfered arch is built into original opening. Reveal of blocked opening above tower arch may be Cll. Relieving arch above doorway to tower staircase, to left. Arch-head tomb recess and niche in south aisle, also carved bracket attached to sill of south east window. Double piscina to right of altar has central shaft. Evidence of earlier window pattern visible around east window. Stone benches to north aisle wall. C19 roof structures. Jacobean pulpit. C18 communion rail with turned balusters. 7 stalls, with misericords, from Church of St. Mary and All Saints, Fotheringhay (q.v.). Upper part of Perpendicular screen behind south aisle altar. South aisle altar also probably incorporates some medieval wood work. Octagonal font on 5 shafts with 4 large ballflowers. 3 pews in north aisle have fleur-de-lis bench ends. 3 medieval altar slabs; in chancel, south aisle and reset in belfry. Stained glass; late C19 and early C20 east window of chancel and south aisle window. Monuments; John Colt, Rector, died 1440; brass effigy on wall to right of altar. Late C17, partially legible, inscribed tablet to right of altar has cherubs head above, Joseph Foster died 1819; plain inscribed tablet, with brackets, in north aisle. John Cave, died 1821; inscribed tablet by Harrison of Oundle, in south aisle, has reeded pilaster and urn above. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p423; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p145)



Listing NGR: TL0535390894

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 423
Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 05353 90894

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 06:32:37.